• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bombhead88

Rear Footwells

bombhead88

Had the backseats out and carpets up in my bargain buy sorrento this afternoon to find some good old rust.

In aint too bad, its the circular hole/plug type bits in each rear footwells. (3" dia)

Theyve broken down and gone rusty and ive the feeling if i poke them theyll go straight through.

Sorry no pictures as light faded on me hope you know where i mean.

Whats the best solution? would new bits need welding in?

pugdamo

Sorry to hear it mate. It is a common spot for them and will need welding its its gone through,a bit sketchy welding them though because of the plastic tank,slow and steady,lol.

bombhead88

Ritee o, atleast there the worst bits. One of the rear seat bolts has rusted and come free from the floor aswel.

Ill see about getting someone to do some welding then as id make a right mess!

davemar

I've just inspected mine after finding the carpets were damp. The felt underlay was saturated, and this had caused a hole to rust through. It was about 3cm wide, so I've cut out the offending area. The metal disk plug thing (what is that for?) had some slight surface rust, but wasn't too bad. I've started to weld a piece of metal over the rust hole, but the weather and lack of light has prevented progress. One thing that did happen while welding, was the underseal caught fire which gave me a fright. I managed to get a jug of water on it in time, as it was getting pretty fierce. It's not far from the petrol tank too, so that could have been messy!!

bouver

The only way to deal with rust is to cut it out, and weld new metal in.

Be very careful though if you are not used to welding!

I have found it best to spot weld on cars, rather than run a long seam which just makes the thin metal warp and twist. Have fun! But keep a fire extinguisher close by to quench any fires. You can stop underseal catching fire by getting a mate to hold a damp rag on the other side.

davemar

What I've done is remove the underseal around that area with a wire wheel, so it's down to the bare metal; so the fire risk is a lot less. I'll need to re-seal the underside anyway where the patch is. What do people recommend to use as an underseal?

Going back to the original poster, I wonder whether he could get a replacement disk to plug that hole? Maybe a trip to the scrappy, or maybe it's even an actual Peugeot part he can get from the dealers. That'll save a lot of hassle, as it just pops out once you've scraped away the seal around it.

joe1joe

well u cant spot weld its got to be a constant weld. unles u replace a whole panel and u spot well like the original, but for example u cant spot weld a repair panel on unless u replace the original completly.........

davemar

I'm going for spot welding, but keep doing lots of it until it's effectively a seam weld. This so the heat is less concentrated, and warping is less. It does take longer though. I'm going to use some filler to smooth around the hole anyway, so the welds will become invisible.

Jrod
well u cant spot weld its got to be a constant weld. unles u replace a whole panel and u spot well like the original, but for example u cant spot weld a repair panel on unless u replace the original completly.........

Txt talk isnt allowed.

Just do it in 3-4cm sections, no need to just do little spot welds.