• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

309 Beam Tube

DamirGTI

I bought 309 beam for rebuilding , stripped it yesterday and all was fine except the LH side :lol: the outer bearing was gone , well the needles actually but the bearing shell was still inside .. however after removing the shell out i found this :

LH side

IMG_9757.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_9758.jpg

RH side (as you can see it's intact ..)

IMG_9763.jpg

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

.. inner bearings are good on both the LH and RH side so it's the surface inside the entire beam , it's not rusty ..

So , what should i do with this ?! :lol: is it posible to repair this LH side with some kind of epoxy metal to restore the surface back ? as it's not damaged as much , it's just on the corner scratch of say 3cm's ...

(i really do not fancy searching another beam :) )

Thanks !

Damir B)

yorkshirekowboy

looks fixable to me, i had pitting on my 309 beam, but very slight to compared to your picture. You need to check whether the tube end isnt ovaled first before spending money on it as its scrap if it is. I had a trailing arm shaft stuck in my tube, took me a sledge hammer and alot of patence to get it out, amazingly it was'nt ovaled.

EDIT

you will need to make sure the surface of where the bearing sits has no protruding metal ie, wheres is scrapped etc, as this will effect the way the bearing sits in the tube

Edited by surferkid205

DamirGTI

Well i'm not sure what to do with this the LH side :) i'll try with bronze bushes first :P

Damir B)

jimistdt

I was going to suggest Bronze Bushes, they should work well there.

pug_ham

It looks salvagable, are the marks not just parts of the outer shell from the bearing that are stuck in place by rust or actually marks on the tube where the bearings have worn in?

If you are going for bushes (bronse or otherwise) I'd hone the surface & remove those makrs before measuing for the bushes.

Graham.

DamirGTI

This where the remains of the outer bearing :

IMG_9764.jpg

Sorry Graham but don't quite understand your question :blush: , these outer marks (highlighted with red circles) are in level with the bearing seating position , but the area in the middle is slightly grooved down the level as the bearing needles did break the bearing shell and stuck in between the shaft and the bearing seat on the tube and the bearing needles made this groove on the area in between :) :

IMG_9757-1.jpg

Now , how do you make this bronze bushes ? :rolleyes: any special type of bronze material or just plain bronze ? do they need to be tight fit with the shaft or with a little bit of clearance in between the bush-shaft ?! :)

Thanks ! :)

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

pug_ham
Sorry Graham but don't quite understand your question :) , these outer marks (highlighted with red circles) are in level with the bearing seating position , but the area in the middle is slightly grooved down the level as the bearing needles did break the bearing shell and stuck in between the shaft and the bearing seat on the tube and the bearing needles made this groove on the area in between :blush: :

IMG_9757-1.jpg

Now , how do you make this bronze bushes ? :rolleyes: any special type of bronze material or just plain bronze ? do they need to be tight fit with the shaft or with a little bit of clearance in between the bush-shaft ?!

Yes, thats what I tought had happened.

I've used phosphur bronse for bushes in my 309 GTI beam & they used to be availble from 205parts but they were developing some made from Oilon which is oil impreganted plastic iirc. Although a set made would have to be custom if you hone the tube surace.

Like you said, they need to be a tight fit in the beam tube & clearance fit over the trailing arm shafts. I think I've posted the measurements on here before but basically same o/d & width as the bearings.

Graham.

DamirGTI

Ok. will ask them at the "205 parts" regarding these bushes :) ..

But , will ordinary bronze material do as well for making these bushes by myself (with grease nipples added) ? :rolleyes: or they need to be made out of this phosphor bronze material ?

I'll do a search regarding measurement specs !

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

joe1joe

well iv even seen people fit the bearing with liquid metel and a lot worse stat than urs ALOT, but realy if ur gona spent the money the wont it right...