• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

[body_work] 1.8d To 1.8 Dti Mini Project

platty

Well I though the oil burner deserved 5 minutes of fame, so here's it's little story.

My Girlfriend was looking for a cheap little run about to help motivate her to pass her driving test. She had always wantd a red 205, so after a few weeks, we found a red 1.8D going for £350 on ebay. It had a few months MOT and Tax on it, was well within the budget we had, and I knew how economical they were, so we bought it.

Here she is when we picked her up

c520_1.jpg

0a5a_1.jpg

We picked it up from Gainsborough near Doncaster on a sunny saturday morning. Put £30 of diesel in her, which filled her up to 3/4 of a tank, and headed home. 200 miles later, we still had a quarter of a tank of fuel in it! I though the level sender was faulty, so I only drove it locally for the next few days, and sure enough, the fuel light eventually came on, crazy mpg B)

I set about giving the car a service, new belts, coolant, oil, filters, and stripped the tow bar off. I also changed the headlights for the ones off of my GTI, as they had lots of condensation in them. I sourced a red rear valance from a forum member (thanks Neil), and repainted a front valence I had 'in stock'. New driving lights were bought from ebay, as where a set of Saxo VTR/VTS alloys, she became 'Little Red' and this is how the car stayed for a good few months.

DSC00272.jpg

Then I bought a white 1.6 GTI that had been stored for 5 years. The interior was in great shape, as was the rest of the car. I couldn't resist. The interior was swapped, and the horrid blue and black seats of the 1.8d was taken where they belonged, the tip!

Now I already had a refurbished 309GTI rear beam, and a refurbished front subframe, brakes, rack, and new suspension sitting in the garage, so you guessed it, the 1.6 GTI kit was unbolted, and made its was under the oil burner. I left the PAS rack in place, but changed everything else front and rear for the GTI kit. It transformed the car.

The MOT was due, so I bolted on my 1.9 alloys and R888's and sent her into the fray.

Littleredfront.jpg

she failed :(

I neglected to fit the 13mm bolt between the rear seats, so that was one point, also the windscreen had wiper blade damage, NS rear drum was binding, and a washer jet wasn't allowing enough water through.

I employed the help of a friend to remove the windscreen, and he gentle caressed it out

red4.jpg

Covering the inside with glass :unsure: But a hoover sorted that. We fitted a screen I had 'in stock', and attended to the other little bits, and sent her back in. She now has a clean bill of health :D

It was about then, I started looking at the trim on the GTI and decided to fit it to 'Little Red'. I spent a couple of days painting all the trim black, and had to modify the rear arches to make it all fit, but I think you'll agree she looks better for her trip to the plastic surgeon :wub:

1.6 Alloys where bolted on, and this is where she is now.

red2.jpg

red1.jpg

On the outside, all that is left to do is the rear quarter badges that 'DrS' has made me, but it's the interior that needs a little work now.

I have already fitted a GTI roof lining and interior light console. Red carpet and Grey cloth seats, but the dash is black and door cards are black and blue, so Ideas anyone? I don't really want to fit half leathers.

red3.jpg

Oh, and she passed her driving test on Tuesday :D

Edited by platty

welshpug

how about Seats form a Rallye? same style as the gti seats but black :unsure:

platty

Sounds like a plan. are they black and red, or just black? Would Phase 2 door cards work with them?

bensonmi

looking good, much improved! your lucky having a bird that will drive a 205,mine has a hissy fit every time she's tried,but that could be because something breaks on it everytime she does :unsure:

why dont you just use gti door cards?

jonnygoodhand
I have already fitted a GTI roof lining and interior light console. Red carpet and Grey cloth seats, but the dash is black and door cards are black and blue, so Ideas anyone? I don't really want to fit half leathers.

Looks great! Would be interested to see how you 'modified' the rear arches. I still carry the scars from when I did mine!

As for the door cards, keep your eye out for some Rallye ones. They're black with a red stripe:

interior-01.jpg

As for Rallye seats, you'll be lucky to find a decent set in a Rallye, let alone a set for sale on their own (although I believe Welshpug's mate has a set in his garage :unsure: ). I'd have thought a decent set of GTI black and red cloth seats would be more than suitable.

Edited by jonnygoodhand

jimistdt

A really good bit of work there Platty, such humble beginnings....looks well mate :unsure:

platty

Cheers Jimi.

I was just poking my nose through your project Jonny, ogling your seats :unsure:

I didn't know there was black and red cloth seats. What phase are they from?

Oh, I used my friendly grinder, then a few welds to hold the wing to the wheel arch, and covered the whole lot in seam sealer to stop any rust coming through. I had to take about half an inch off of the rear bumper to follow the curve of the arch.

Edited by platty

Anthony

Phase 2 1.6 GTi's had red/black cloth, same style as the Phase 2 1.9 GTi seats but cloth instead of leather.

jonnygoodhand
Cheers Jimi.

I was just poking my nose through your project Jonny, ogling your seats :unsure:

Not sure, to be honest. Always presumed they were from late 1.6s. I used to have a set (later butchered to repair my bolster), which I bought off eBay for £5.

a10.jpg

^^^ beat me to it!

Edited by jonnygoodhand

platty

Aha, they'll work just fine. I imagine they will be alot easier to get hold of than a Rallye interior too :unsure:

taylorspug

Door cards wise id use some phase 2 GTI ones. Ive got a set locally if you fancy... :D<_<

platty

Never a missed opportunity, your as bad as Baz <_<

taylorspug

Steady now! <_<:D

jonnygoodhand

Wont you need door cards that are for Manual Windows? That's why I suggested Rallye's. They're not so hard to come by, as many are discarded when the car's interior is inevitably stripped.

Edited by jonnygoodhand

taylorspug

Door cards are the same, they just have a plug in for the winder hole when leccy ones are installed. Also mine are manual windows. <_<

Baz

oi, cheeky b@stards!! :excl:

Looks great Mark, everyone will be thinking 'WTF, is that a rare late Gti??' :lol:

platty

:excl:

It's already happend Baz, I was in a car park a couple of days ago, and had to explain to a fellow GTI driver that it wasn't a GTI....the badges had him all confused. :lol:

badgesfitted.jpg

calvinhorse

excellent project! looks really well!

RossD

Looks great!

DaveW

Looks great now, you should fit gti door cards and the centre console to finish it off.