• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Driveshaft Vibration

Veero

Right swapped my coilovers for some GTi6 struts the other day, went up to get the tracking done yesterday and on the way back noticed a great deal of vibration around 65-75 which definitely wasn't there before tracking was done. (I crawled all the way to the tracking place since it was way out). Now I watched them do the tracking and the wheels stayed on the car and weren't balanced or anything.

The only thing I can think of is it is the driveshaft. When I was changing the struts over I forgot to undo the D/S hub nut, when I was removing the coilover from the hub, the hub dropped and pulled on the inner joint. Before I could support it I think it popped it out. Managed to waggle it back in but went to to turn and it locked up. Pulled it out a smidgen again and re-aligned and re-waggled it and it went back in and then span freely.

Have I knackered the inner joint? Helpfully it's the drivers side shaft so the more awkward one to remove... :unsure:

Cheers

Veero

Anthony

Wobbling/shaking, usually under acceleration, can be an inner CV joint, but are you sure it's not just a balancing weight that's fallen off?

C_W

Wheelbolts tight?

I think as long as the driveshaft is held together by the rubber boot you can't really do any damage to it.

Veero

Wheel bolts are all on and torqued up. Both sets of weights still seem to be there. Very strange.

jordGTI

try checking your ball joints. that can cause vibration if they are worn