• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Engine Change (complicated By Abs And Aircon)

brian j

Sorry to have a couple of question topics on the go at once.

I will be swapping out my 100k mile 1.9 8v for a recently rebuilt, tweaked, 1.9 8v over the next couple of weeks.

However, I have the added complexity of PAS, ABS and Aircon, so more things to remove and less room to work in.

I had planned something like this:

• Remove pipes/wiring/inlet manifold as per any other engine swap.
  • Unbolt Aircon Compressor from Sump and support it on blocks of wood/wires without disconnecting refrigerant pipes. (It's HUGE!)
  • Unbolt Aircon Fixed hose from under gearbox.
  • Remove PAS Pump and tie to one side
  • Remove engine as normal, manoeuvring round ABS pump and Radiator

The Question is will it fit out of the engine bay with the Rad and ABS Pump still in place? I can't remove the rad without disconnecting the air-con condenser and I'd rather not disturb anything ABS because it's working and a pig to bleed!

Basically does this sound feasible to those who have done it before? Or have I missed something fundamental?

Thanks.

welshpug

I think it would come out without removing the rad but only if you remove the transmission first.

you may need to remove the exhaust manifold and bonnet to gain more clearance so that you can move the engine straight up.

brian j
I think it would come out without removing the rad but only if you remove the transmission first.

you may need to remove the exhaust manifold and bonnet to gain more clearance so that you can move the engine straight up.

I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to split the engine and transmission!

I might be able to get enough movement on the flexible A/C pipes to lean the rad forward a bit. I already have the exhaust manifold off so that's not a problem, and I'm changing the bonnet for a better one so no time like the present.

Do you think that might buy enough space?

I don't want to make any more work than I have to because time is tight at the moment, but equally I don't want to hire the engine hoist, get it half way, then have to find an A/C engineer to de-gas and disconnect everything before I can continue...

Miles

Take the PAS pump off ot just remove the pipes as this really is easy, a drain and refill is a good idea anyway if not done for a few yr's, The ABS is not a problem at all lurky at the back of the engine bay, You can gain some room by removing the rad which shouldn't interfear with the A/C at all from memory

mhyphenl
Take the PAS pump off ot just remove the pipes as this really is easy, a drain and refill is a good idea anyway if not done for a few yr's, The ABS is not a problem at all lurky at the back of the engine bay, You can gain some room by removing the rad which shouldn't interfear with the A/C at all from memory

Just while we're on the subject, I really need two of the air con hoses and some ABS drive shafts and wheel sensors if anyone has some they don't want, I had a compressor and condenser off 2_Pugs which were great but would like to complete the system. Having recently fitted the condenser I don't think you can easily remove the rad without disturbing the air con as the rad and condenser are kind of attached or at very least tied in position by their mounts / hoses.

(Just remembered I owe 2_pugs some money, sorry mate will sort it now!! <_< )