• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

405 4x4 Transfer Box

M@tt

I've had a look on servicebox and as far as i can tell the 4x4 transfer box is the same for the mi16 4x4 as it is for the 405 T16 and the T16 puts out ~200bhp (220 on over boost) and ~200lbft torque. Does anyone have any experience of what these can reliably take?

I would hope my engine would be putting out 250bhp+ once finished and a suitable sized wedge of torque to match from the supercharger.

I've heard varying reports about the splines being the weak point so does anyone know if its possble to get up rated parts or to strengthen the standard parts somehow ? I'd hate to fit it all only for it to rip itself apart at the first proper use of the loud pedal

All comments welcome

Cheers

Matt

Baz

Despite that they're not the same units! they're all slightly different from each other, GLx4/Bx, Mi16x4 and the T16.

Get yourself on the 405 forum if you're not already Matt, plenty of info on there. :wacko:

M@tt

ah nice one baz

i did have a look on service box and there only appeared to be one part number for the transfer box for both phases of 405 so i'll have another look,

i'll also have a look over on the 405 forum as well :wacko:

ade 4wd

405 transfer boxs - 3 different ones available.

GLx4/Bx = Cable operated diff lock mechanism

Mi16x4 = Limited slip diff

T16 = same as Mi16x4 but with a different final drive ratio

Splined input shaft is the same on all.

The weak point is the splined input shaft not because of a poor design (they are actually very well engineered) but because they are not sealed. They go rusty and then slip making a horendous noise.

Baz

Torsen diff, not really a LSD.

petert

Happy to be corrected, but the GLx4 and Mi16x4 share many parts, other than the centre diff. The T16 however, has many uprated parts, designed to take the extra power. So much so, that Peugeot even changed the output ratio so it won't match the rear diff input. Thus you can't match a T16 transfer box to an Mi16x4 rear diff.

Why isn't a Torsen diff an LSD?

Your can uprated T16 bits here:

http://atdperformance.com/topic/index-en.html

Whether or not they're compatible with Mi16x4 I'm not sure.

Edited by petert

Baz

Well i suppose it is in a sense, i just presumed afaik that it doesn't really work the same?

M@tt

so would you say then a "Good " condition standard Mi16 transfer box ie no rust on splines etc would stand up to 250bhp/250lbft?

petert
up to 250bhp/250lbft?

I doubt it. The input shafts are an issue due to rusting of the splines. The viscous coupling is also a known weakness. Miles could probably elaborate more.

Wikipeda has everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen

or here:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm

"These devices are often used in high-performance all-wheel-drive vehicles"

The same diff was used in the 505, both n/a and Turbo versions, but with different final drive ratios. I doubt you'll ever break one.

M@tt

thanks peter

do you mean you doubt you'd break a 505 one? and this being due to the drive ratios?

B1ack_Mi16
thanks peter

do you mean you doubt you'd break a 505 one? and this being due to the drive ratios?

Ronny, a norwegian peugeot freak was running a 405 T16 with 450bhp on the standard 4x4 T16 drivetrain.

(Also standard internals in engine) and it was the rods that gave up first :unsure:

I think the drivetrain can take some power as long the splines are in good condition, and the transfer box sattelite holder etc is in good condition. This parts can be bought uprated from charles on the website mentioned further up in this thread.

The T16 transferbox casing os however a little different, more ribs I think.

welshpug

Remember that brown 505 at Pugfest last year?

the one with the 205 shaped Dent in the front :unsure:

that had a monstrous turbo on it :D

M@tt

ah yes i remember that 505, we brought a welder down from sheffield for him to fix his cracked manifold :unsure:

i appreciate the comments gents

I guess really the first job is to strip down the transfer box that i've got and see what state it's in and take it from there.

I'll document the strip down in my project thread. I've got a manual from the 405 forum which will be helpful

B1ack_Mi16

Haha :unsure:

That 505 is my mates and it stands in the garage where I' working on the sorrento 205 project and my new 405 2.1 TD project.

It's now got a new front end welded in, and will get a full respray :D

The 205 is also fixed, welded in new rear quarter and boot floor etc.

505 will have a little bit smaller turbo this time for a little better response.

kutija
so would you say then a "Good " condition standard Mi16 transfer box ie no rust on splines etc would stand up to 250bhp/250lbft?

Yes it would but you need to upgrade pinions on the central diff's planetary wheel.

T16 TB has reinforced housing and different ratio than mi16x4 so as peter said you can't mix T16 tb and mi16x4 rear torsen.

Just to make things clear in front is visco coupling and at the rear is torsen.

Also you need to ugrade that tripod on the main driveshaft(cardan shaft)...

Sign in to follow this