• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Thermostat Housing :urgent:

sparky

Hey guys

Had to order a new stat housing yesterday since mine decided to explode in spectacular fashion. It arrived this morning from eurocarparts but its the wrong type, the one on the car having one outlet and the new one having two. Not a great problem normally, however I don't have anything to hand that I would normally use to block a pipe (bungs or spare hose and a big bolt).

Does anyone have any innovative ideas on how to plug the hole as my brain seems to be running at a low ebb today :wacko:

I need to use the car tonight so it needs to be a quick fix.

Any help greatly appriciated!

Thanks

Chris

pug_ham

If its just a temporary fix then another piece of coolant hose, two jubilee clips & a cork should do but you can get a blank for them from Pug or Citroen (1210 03 PLUG 20X28-35 ) but I'd get on the phone to ecp & tell them its wrong & see what they say.

If you have a scrapyard nearby, there is a suitable blank on a 205 diesel on the inlet manifold iirc here.

A new alloy cap from Pug is under £10 iirc.

Graham.

NeilGTi85

I hope you also order a new gasket for the housing because when you pull your old one of it most likey to be fubar'd!

neil

dcc

i didnt bother using the gasket, just a little RTV arround the edge, give it 15 mins to dry, then fill with water!

If you have enough time, you can always just use RTV to seal up the extra hole, i did this with a housing which i had before i found my proper one. worked fine.

sparky

Thanks for the replys guys.

Pardon my ignorance but what is RTV?

I have hylomar if that is similar. I didn't think it would be strong enough to fill the hole on its own.

dcc

RTV is a waterproof sealant, What I should have said really is, you need to let it set if your filling the hole. it would take a good 24hours i would think, but if your going to take the part back, dont do it! it will take you hours to clean :wacko:

use an old peice of pipe which will fit over the end, use a jubilee clip to hold it on, then use something to plug the other end, as said, a cork would be great for this. make sure its water tight what ever you use :ph34r:

omega

just put a piece of hose on it stick a bolt in the end and jubilee clip it ,job done

DamirGTI

RTV will be - Room Temperature Vulcanizing sealant/gasket maker :wacko: (hardens when exposed to air)

Most of them are multi purpose , but if you like you can buy sealant for special/precise purpose such as say coolant/glycol resistant sealant : http://www.eriks.co.uk/adhesives/eriks.asp...&pageid=941 (this one cures by moisture)

Damir :ph34r:

Edited by DamirGTI

Sign in to follow this