• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Garry

Wilwood 4 Pots, Is Bigger Mc Mandatory?

Garry

I plan to fit some Wilwood midlite 4 pots to my 205.

Will the performance of the brakes be affected by running the standard 1.9 master cylinder? Is it a bigger MC considered a must have?

I understand the pedal travel may be a bit longer, but is there anything else to worry about?

Thanks

Edited by Garry

welshpug

what size pistons do they have?

Garry

I have pinched this from the 306 forum:

standard GTI6 caliper is 2 x 57.1mm pistons

wilwood is 4 x 35.1mm pistons an extra 22%ish think

Ok this is how it brakes down.

You need to work out the square inch of the calipers piston area. (one side of the caliper only)

Std Gti6 is 3.93 square inch.

Powerlites is 3.54 square inch

Midilites is 4.8 square inch

Brembo is 4.93 square inch

By moving over to the powerlites your reducing your piston area by 10% over std calipers

By moving up to Brembo's your going up 25%

By moving up to Midilites your going up 22%

Edited by Garry

welshpug

I would say try it and see, the 406 with the Brembo caliper uses the same size M/C as the gti6 with its smaller caliper piston.

Similarly to that there are plenty of people running standard 20.6mm and 22mm M/C's with the gti6 caliper.

taylorspug

Im not sure what size pistons they have, but im running Compbrake 4 pots and the pedal travel was a touch long for me with a 405 MI master cylinder. Ive now got a 23mm 406 one and now the air is FINALLY out of the system they really are spot on, pedal is nice and high, and even though it takes a bit more of a shove to press the pedal its still perfectly manageable, which sort of gives it a nice un-servo'ed feel. :wacko:

Rippthrough

The Gti6>Midilite conversion appears to result in very little, if any, extra pedal travel, probably because the calipers are so much stiffer.

Garry

Ok, thanks.

I will try them and see as far as pedal travel goes.

My main concern was if the standard MC would not be able to deliver enough pressure to get the best out of the calipers.

welshpug

the standard MC would provide MORE pressure than a larger one, but move less fluid.

Cloverleaf

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. It would provide more pressure but wouldn't the low volume moved (due to the smaller area) mean that the extra travel makes the pedal feel spongy?

cir287

best way to find out is (provided you already have the calipers) bolt them up and try, however long pedal travel is, it wont be so bad that you have no brakes. Chances are it'll work very well.

ravydavy

I'm running the midilites and I went onto brakepart and got a 406 non abs mc. Works perfect. But I didn't try the old mc with the new 4 pots. Think the new mc was about 50 quid delivered. Absolute doddle to fit. Get the one with the two blanking plugs. And to be honest most old pugs are about due for one.