• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

106 1.1 Intermittent Engine Fault

skeggyrik

Sister owns a 1.1 106 (w plate). She's having intermittent engine issues. One minute it's fine and can be ok for days the next thing it's hunting, revs are up and down, will not hold revs at idle without throttle, won't pull past 2000rpm, or has the revs hovering like the cable's stuck.

I've not experienced it, I'm only going on what she's told me over the past couple of weeks. It can be quite violent when it starts kangarooing. Every time she takes to a garage is stops doing do it. Last time they replaced the air filter as the old one was full of crap, it sorted it at the time but the intermittent nature of the problem has seen it doing the same as before. She's not local so i can't easily help.

It's not running on 3 or anything like that it seems to be very on and off. I think it either doesn't know how much air it's getting or the ignition is all over for some reason. The intermittent nature makes me think it's a sensor.

So I'm thinking it could be any of the following:

Throttle position sensor (seems most likely)

Crank Position Sensor, (106 forum hunting reported this a culprit in some cases)

I think it's MAP sensor on this engine so could also be that.

Would a pug dealer or other be able to "plug in" and find out if the above had gone wrong or would it only register if was going wrong at that time?

Car's not worth a great deal, so don't want to go throwing money at it. In what order would you suggest I try replacing the sensors. Ideally I'd have one of each form a breakers to swap in and out to see if it sorts it for her.

Anyone got any ideas of what it might be? Any idea on prices of the above sensors? I know the TPS is expensive.

Rich

Alteran

Do they have the black cylindrical thing that controls the air bypass? If so they are quite common for failing. Located in the throttle housing, they cause all manner of idling issues. Sometimes a clean can sort them out but as it's intermittant, it sounds like an electrical problem rather than mechanical. Idle Control Valve i believe it's called..

Mikey S
Do they have the black cylindrical thing that controls the air bypass? If so they are quite common for failing. Located in the throttle housing, they cause all manner of idling issues. Sometimes a clean can sort them out but as it's intermittant, it sounds like an electrical problem rather than mechanical. Idle Control Valve i believe it's called..

id look at the coolant temperature sensor. i had the same thing on a 99 206 1.4 the other day, wouldnt idle, refuse to rev cleanly and problamatic starting.