• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

205 1.9 Gti Back Box

davemar

I've just bought a new back box off eBay as mine's falling apart. I've got the earlier 3-piece setup with a back box with a sleeve mounting. The one I bought has the sleeve housing, but the box is oval in shape rather than round like my old one. But the main problem with it, is that it lacks the hooks to mount the thing. So even if it's the right shape, there's no way of hanging it. Surely this can't be normal?

As it happens it looks like I'll need a new middle section too, as the end that connects to the back box is badly rusted. I still haven't managed to detach the back box from the middle pipe, the join is that bad corroded together.

aCe

Are you sure this is not a universal backbox/

Many universal/barry boxes have no mountings etc. Probably better off getting a stadard one or a branded aftermarket one.

If your struggling removing it try angle grinding a slit down it then chisel my friend!

Good Luck

Baz

Heat will get it apart!

davemar

It was sold as a box for a 205 GTi, and with a part number of PG140. The drawing of the part has the hooks too.

If I'm getting a new middle section, I'll not need to worry about splitting the old one.

Super Josh

Yeah, that's an Arvin/Timax back box. Should have the hanger on it

630071.png

Josh

philfingers

some of them (my old 309 one for instance) the hook is one piece and goes around the bottom of the box. Ity's not wleded on to the box but held on with a large stinless steel like tie wrap. It's a genuine pug one too, had the numbers on it

Maybe it's just missing this part?

Phil

welshpug

if the centre section needs to be replaced I'd fit the later 2 piece system, its larger bore and easier to fit.

davemar

I've already got a new centre piece lined up. I've also got a Mi16 engine with an angled manifold, and the 3-piece does allow a certain amount of adjustment to fit which the 2 piece may not allow (though I'm willing to be contradicted on this).

Anyway, the seller tells me, he'll send me a separate hook part through. Let's hope it does the job.

Sign in to follow this