• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
malyso

Mi16 Wiring/carb Help Wanted

malyso

I'm having problems getting my car to rev following what should have been a straight forward bike carb converison.

Items fitted so far

ZZR1100 bike carbs

8V dizzy (tried 4 of them)

dizzy adapter (spacer)

Bogg bros intake manifold

8V dizzy and ignition module

fuel regulator and return pipe.

The car starts fine and ticks over nicely but won't rev up freely its almost as if there is a rev limitor cutting in or so it feels like. Fueling is fine even tried another set of carbs with the same effect. Spark is there ok...

Only thing not done so far is actually disconnect the original ECU although not sure if this would be causing the problem. Any help appreciated..

The car ran really well before the start of the conversion with no problems at all...

Mark...

unariciflocos

Most likely a fueling issue, either they're getting too much or too little fuel. Did you drill the main jets to 1.7 or 1.8 mm? Had a similar problem when my carbs were over-fueling, turned the pressure down and went like a charm.

Guessing you played around with the ignition timing, and couldn't be the ignition amp because it would misfire if that wouldn't be working.

Hope this helps

pugit666

i got mine started the other day, am runnig a similar set up just using cbr1100 carbs. and have the same problem.

what size jets are you using? standard on mine were 145 but i borrowed some 190 jets from a friend, this helped loads but still won't rev past 4000 freely.

i'm taking mine to Dynobike at malton when i get time. Paul there is really good, he has a car rolling road aswell as doing bikes. i think we both just have fuelling problems which are easilly solved. instead of drilling your jets you can just get bigger ones, its a lot easier :D

malyso

Mine is in Bogg Bros atm so the've been ruling things out one by one but still no joy as yet. Therefore i'm not sure what jet sizes they are using but under or overfuelling should show up on there rollers they say it's more like an electronic issue!!!

i got mine started the other day, am runnig a similar set up just using cbr1100 carbs. and have the same problem.

what size jets are you using? standard on mine were 145 but i borrowed some 190 jets from a friend, this helped loads but still won't rev past 4000 freely.

i'm taking mine to Dynobike at malton when i get time. Paul there is really good, he has a car rolling road aswell as doing bikes. i think we both just have fuelling problems which are easilly solved. instead of drilling your jets you can just get bigger ones, its a lot easier :)

unariciflocos

If you tried 4 dissys and 2 sets of carbs either something is seriously wrong or you're not doing something right. I'd run with 1.8 jets, and try to adjust fuel pressure, mixture and ignition advance. Have you connected the vacuum capsule of the dissy?

ORB

I am running MI16 with R1 carbs on 185 jets, revs live a little gem right through!

dcc
I am running MI16 with R1 carbs on 185 jets, revs live a little gem right through!

not the biggest help for him ;')

I would be tempted to get the fuel pressure checked, maybe even pay the money for somebody to sort it for you!

hexhamstu

have you tried another ignition amp and coil?

S@m

A dodgy ignition amp can feel very much like a rev limiter cutting in, did when mine went anyway, although that was on a standard Mi, no carbs or suchlike.

Sam

malyso

Funny enough it is now on second ignition amp and coil both new. The car is at Bogg Bros so I am paying someone to sort it out but this is the problem they are having with it, seen as they aren't having much success I thought I would ask on here to see if there's anything they have missed.

Its been there since begining of December I had already fitted the manifold/carbs/dizzy at home and started it although difficuilt. I drove it on the trailer took it there, drove it off the trailer into the work shop then this is where its upto now.... <_<

unariciflocos

If you've changed carbs, dissy, ignition amp then you must be running coal instead of petrol.

Take the carbs off and give them a good clean. This is a pretty good guide to use. Check that everything in the carbs is in good condition, change/drill jets to 1.8 or 1.9, install a fuel pressure gauge and make sure the pressure is 4.5 to 5 psi.

Play with the mixture a bit by moving the safety ring on the needles. Get some vacuum meters and synchronize the carbs. If this doesn't get you sorted I don't know what will.

pugit666

are you using the vacuum advance pipe of the dizzy?

i really hope your car is working soon matey

malyso

Yesterdays update from the garage,,

Carbs now swoped back to the ZX9's i took it with still does same.

The tried disconnecting ecu but then got no no spark at all.

Now i am wondering if this is the issue if it doesn't run with ecu disconnected then the ignition live must be running through the ecu and if that is the case could there be a problem if there is a crank position sensor or something now not connected causing the ecu to cut or disrupt a signal to the ignition amp when it is been reved????

Also they said the carbs don't seem to be vacuuming ie drawing in fuel and air just spitting it out therefore the timing could have slipped(it does have vernier pulleys...

Do you think we are getting warm now...

Pugit666 I hope its fixed soon too. They have it now for one more week then i'm driving it home or trailering it home, if it's still not running properly i'm gonna strip out the wiring and start again.

pugit666

hmmm i removed my ecu and all wiring for it. do you need it? my car is phase one so removing it was easy as it has its own loom. not sure about later cars.

are you using the vacuum advance. i'm connecting mine to see if it makes a difference

unariciflocos

You mentioned that the engine was running fine before the conversion, maybe the timing slipped a tooth under misfire.

All I can say is that's some garage that with spares for everything that could be wrong can't sort the car in a week.

pugit666

try ringing Dynobike in Malton. Don't think you're allowed to put phone numbers on here but he's in the yellow pages etc. The guy is called paul.

pugit666

any more news? i got mine sorted today. attached the vacuum advance which let it rev right past 4 thou. gonna need a rev limiter now me thinks

Sign in to follow this