• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flipperthebushkangaroo

Gearbox Change The Battle Goes On

flipperthebushkangaroo

Following on from the previous topic.

OK, so the box is off and a new passengers side drive shaft is on order(GKN, thanks for the advice graham nearly ended up with some others), drivers side left in then loosened as per Steve's suggestion( used a rubber mallet and power through screwdriver :) ) as I've stripped I've found a few other bits. so please can i pick your brains again?

1 Where is a good place to get drive shaft nut, and wishbone ball joint nut & bolts from?

2 Can you get new bushes for the clutch cable gearbox attaching point pivot point (if you know what i mean, its the bit the pin sits in on the BE1 box)?

3 Where is a good place to get a new standard gearbox mount?

4 how much push pull movement is acceptable on the gearbox input shaft?

5 how does the release bearing go onto the fork (it came off easily but can't seem to put it back on !!!!)

Thanks for your advice as ever

Roddie

pugdamo

1. Driveshafts often come with a driveshaft nut,if not then Pug dealer or motor factor or if youre tight like me then a trip to scrappy,lol

2. If you mean the plastic bush for the clutch fork then i think thats pug dealer,dont think a motor factor would do them

3. Motor factor would prob do a gearbox mount

4. You will always have a bit,as for measurements id say couple of mm

5. You have to turn the clutch forkback towards you sit the two tags on the bearing over the edge of the clutch fork and then turn it back onto the input shaft,hope that makes sense,im crap at explaining stuff,lol. Be careful when putting the box back in,because if you turn the clutch arm by accident it can fall off,i usually tie an elastic band around the clutch release arm so it holds the bearing in place .

Hope it helps

pug_ham

1; If you don't get a new hubnut on the new driveshaft & a local motor factors can't help out, you can reuse them or if you want the stake points in a different place, swap the left to right. 1.9 hubnuts that have the locking ring & circlip are re-usable anyway. I usually get the balljoint bolts from a local hardware store, shouldered bolts not plain ones.

2; Yes, It'll be Pug only though. I think the part number is 2175.05

3; An uprated one isn't that much stiffer imo so Stew 205 is probably easiest to get one from but unless yours has serious signs of failure I've reused them without issue.

4; No idea, Miles...?

5; Have a search, Damir has posted some good pictures of the Be1 release bearing fitting onto the fork iirc but it isn't held on tight iirc.

Graham.

Miles

LOL, No 4

The input shaft should only have a very very small amount of movement at the most, If it move's any more than 1mm then I'd sugest new bearing's at the very least

Sign in to follow this