• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
IanH

Xu9j4 Oil Gallery

IanH

Im in the middle of rebuilding my mi16, and as part of the rebuild Ive put in a set of PT1602 kent cams.

So that they get oil straight away during initial run in, as well as using the cam lube, Im priming the pump before fitting the cam belt, by simply turning the crank by hand until I get oil comming out of the feeds. No problems there.

However I noticed something strange when I hooked up the oil gallery and pumped oil through that as well.

It seems that the gallery drops oil on each lobe of the inlet cam, but not the exhaust. Both cams get thier bearings oiled obviously, but I was expecting to see small droplets of oil dropping on the exhaust cam lobes as well.

On inspection I noticed that the exhaust cam gallery does not have holes like the inlet gallery, in order to facilitate the cam lobe oiling.

Is this right? Just seems a little odd to me.

The engine tilts back towards the exhaust cam, so Im guessing they are partially submerged in oil during normal operation, but I thought I'd post up here to make sure I havent got a duff gallery or anything. Thanks for any info.

Edited by IanH

petert

That's correct. Because the engine is tilted, the exhaust cam/buckets sit in a bath of oil.

IanH

Lovely, thats all I was looking for.

Cheers petert, I can get on with the rest of the rebuild in well lubricated happiness :)

Sign in to follow this