• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

Low Coolant Sender Unit

DrSarty
Hooray !! the third spare sender works

But you don't really know why. :lol:

The mystery of 'the green thingy' continues :) .

DamirGTI

3530544bcaeb495730bccaa117adfebdb1a43f7.gif

.. i'll find some way to make it talk ! :)

Damir :lol:

Guest Wheres_my_wig

I have had this problem come up a lot on the black expansion tank version, but never managed to fix it. My coolant warning light flashes and i have plenty of coolant. Managed to take it out and clean its but still crappy and corroded and snapped the top off one of the prongs. just wondering, a good addition to this thread would be some part numbers for new senders, as im sure they would be eaier to replace, and you can rest assured if you run out of coolant you will know.

GLPoomobile
I have had this problem come up a lot on the black expansion tank version, but never managed to fix it. My coolant warning light flashes and i have plenty of coolant. Managed to take it out and clean its but still crappy and corroded and snapped the top off one of the prongs. just wondering, a good addition to this thread would be some part numbers for new senders, as im sure they would be eaier to replace, and you can rest assured if you run out of coolant you will know.

From what I've read on here from the more electrically clued up (such as Pugtorque) this problem is interference from the HT leads.

Rob_the_Sparky
The only way I've managed to "test" the two pin type of sensor (phase 1, 1.5 & UK early phase 2) is with a multimeter looking for continuity.

When the switch makes I got an open circuit but getting these to work was as easy as finding hens teeth.

The main downside to this type of is if the coolant isn't changed every couple of years the nsides of the sesnor get clogged up with dirt & debris which stops them workling as Rob said. I have managed to get a few working again after soaking them in veryhot (not boiling) water & blocking the tiny holes on the sensor while I shake it to get the level sensor moving inside.

Then I've sprayed them with WD40 & done the same again but this doesn't work if they are to far gone.

Graham.

Yeah, with a bit of work I have managed to get them working again but never long enough to warn me of low water when I needed it! Only time I've had it work long enough to be useful was when I bought a new one from Pug...