• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skeggyrik

Acid Etch Primer, Which?

skeggyrik

Can anyone recommend me an acid etch primer in an aerosol.

I'll be painting the Mi cam (rocker) cover and I understand this is the best way to ensure things stay painted.

Presuming I'm then ok to use any old aerosol on top of that? It's not like it gets "very" hot

Is it worth doing the posey primer or can I get I get away with a normal primer as long as it's clean?

Rippthrough
Can anyone recommend me an acid etch primer in an aerosol.

I'll be painting the Mi cam (rocker) cover and I understand this is the best way to ensure things stay painted.

Presuming I'm then ok to use any old aerosol on top of that? It's not like it gets "very" hot

Is it worth doing the posey primer or can I get I get away with a normal primer as long as it's clean?

Bilt Hamber EtchWeld, great stuff :)

tri_longer

Halfords sell a range of etch primers made by U-POL

Tom Fenton

I've also used the u-pol gear before with good results.

richsmells

Acid etch is ideal for adhering to metal. I used some UPOL stuff as a basecoat on my wheels, then some normal primer over the top. Four years later the paint's still there with no lifting or bubbling!

philfingers

UPol acid etch Super 8 or something like that is good. It's about £23 for a 1ltr or £7-8 for an aerosol. It's in a shiney red tin with silver lettering if that helps

Cameron

Another vote for U-Pol etch primer. Just make sure you don't spray it on to any old paint as it'll react with it. It has to go on bare metal only.

skeggyrik

I bought the u-pol stuff on Saturday with good intentions of using it.

However the paint on the cam cover didn't slide off under the persuasion of nitromors as easy as I'd hoped and I had other stuff to do, so I'll have to come back to it.

Once I've got the rest of the stubborn bits off I'll give it a go.

Thanks all.

And yes it's in a red / pink can, Acid #8 Primer.

Rich

Edited by skeggyrik

Cameron

If you want I can ask at work if we can vapour blast it for you. That'll get every last bit of crap off it. :)

Veero

Yeah I used the no 8 etch primer in the red tin from Hellfrauds on my rocker cover, a couple of years, 15k miles and a minor fuel spillage later and it's still looking good.

cherry_red

I used red vht paint on my rocker cover. Not a good idea, wish I just used normal paint and etch primer.