• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SOUPED

Xu10j2te Turbo Conversion - Solid Engine Mounts Question

SOUPED

Hi there,

I've recently aquired a solid lower engine mount.

I'm wandering whether or not to purchase a solid gearbox mount and engine mount.

The issues I'm going through in my head are :-

i) Would having all three solid mounts cause the chassis to flex too much (bearingin mind it's a daily driver and wont be preped, I mean seam welded).

ii) What would be the perfect length or the increased length for the lower engine fork (I've read on hear that the best length would be 10mm - 25mm).

iii) I've also read on here that having the wrong increased length would damage and do over the driveshafts.

iv) Also would it be wise to have the upper engine mount and gearbox mount standard rubber (uprated fast road items), too increased on road comfort.

I would appreciate your input peoples.

Thankx again,

SOUPED

:)

welshpug

what do you mean by solid? solid rubber or metal?

I wouldn't want to use solid metal anywhere but the track.

S@m

I wouldnt use solid aluminium mounts on a daily driver if thats what you mean! unless you want to shake out your fillings and watch the dash fall apart as you drive! Just uprated rubber mounts should suffice.

Also, with regard to extending the bottom fork, its not always necessary, fit the engine and see where you have clearance issues (for some reason they always seem to be slightly different), then decide if you need to extend the mount, usually 10-20mm will suffice.

Sam

SOUPED

Hi there,

Check these out pure sex!!!!

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/index.php?cPath=1740_1741_1745

Very Pricey.

I think what I'm going to do is keep the solid lower engine mount (Aluminium) so that the driveshafts don't move so much and have the other two uprated rubber items. I think whereas the lower mount being solid aluminium and keeping the other two uprated rubber items should give enough movement as not to shake the crap out of the car! what you reckon guys!

Thankx

Souped

welshpug

I would prefer some far cheaper versions of those from BBM myself, plenty of forum users have them.

SOUPED

Hi again,

Not to confuse mine is solid aluminium, Not any of the ones in the link. :) Definately can't afford these.

Souped

B)

Goliath

At the moment, on my clio, I am running a solid lower engine mount and standard top mount and gearbox mount. I like it, it gives a lot of added vibrations at around 2500-3500rpm under acceleration and throughout the range when engine braking. I use mine as a daily drive and get on fine with it, some people wouldnt be able to live with it though.

SOUPED

Hi again,

The reason for me using a solid lower engine mount is to keep the drive shaft movement to minimum as I've read on here you could chew up driveshafts should the extension of the lower engine mount fork be incorrect or engine sitting at the wrong angle.

Souped

weejimmy

i wouldnt bother using a solid mount just for the driveshafts sake,

they will be fine with stock ones,

use the grp n one if you feel you have to use somthing.

no need for solid at all. they will just annoy you and make driving less plesent

Sign in to follow this