• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

1.6 Driveshafts

Do they fit okay? Originally thought they would, but a search threw up some doubts. Anyone confirm?

pug_ham

It could be a case of try it to see.

The later Be3 405 gearbox diffs are different & the 205 driveshafts don't sit fully into the diff but I can't remember reading anyone having the same problems on the GTi-6 box so you might be OK.

Try it with the bits off the car before you fit it if you can then its easier to swap the Xsara crown wheel to the 205 diff before fitting them into the car.

Graham.

Hmm, with the vts box out, I tried test fitting an old 1.6 shaft I had lying about into it.

Basically on the vts shaft, the "smooth" part of the shaft which sits in the seal, goes in about twice the length of the 1.6 one. It still seems to go in ok, but clearly has less of the shaft in the seal. Does this mean I have a later style box?

The other thing I've tried (suggested by Anthony) was dismantling both driveshafts and fitting the vts inner cv on the end of the 1.6 shaft. This seemed to work - are they meant to be taken apart like this?!

Hilgie

Then you have the later box with the big diff.

Like Anthony says, swap the inner cv to the 1.6 shaft. You've done the right thing.

Good stuff, thanks. Are zip ties suitable for holding the rubber bellow thingies? :rolleyes: Or do I need to get proper metal jobs - I cannot for the life of me work out how to put the old ones back on.

Sign in to follow this