• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PaulJLLD

Seam Welding/shell Strenghtening

PaulJLLD

just started to pull my 205 to bits.

Plan is to coilover the rear ,rollcage etc but im unsure if i should seam weld the shell or not and what parts of a 205 shel need strengthening?

Any info/pics would be great.

Cameron

Seam welding is a right pain in the arse! Simply because of the amount of seam sealer stuck down the gaps that will ruin all of your welding. I'd only recommend doing it if you're fitting a cage and giving the car some serious work on track or rallying. If you do give it a bash, some tips for you.. Make sure you give the seams a really really good clean, so all paint and sealed needs to be removed from the gaps and about an inch around the weld area. Then when you weld it, you only have to stitch, say an inch of weld every 1-2 inches. Some people go welding along the whole seam and end up using 20 odd kilos of wire which is absurd! :rolleyes:

omega
top of the struts need plates on them or they dome easy. any seaming is good

look at this project for some ideas

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

have read that these should only be stich welded not seamed does anybody no why this is or i have i been miss informed

PaulJLLD

Thats one nice car :blush:

Its going to be a rally car and Is it worth the hard work and time seamwelding it?

sounds of silence

it will add alot more strength to the shell and stop alot off the flex as well but really only going to have a good purpose if you cage the car properly as well

as for the welding it should be stitch welded along the seams

but strengthening kits like the top suspension should be completely welded

PaulJLLD
it will add alot more strength to the shell and stop alot off the flex as well but really only going to have a good purpose if you cage the car properly as well

as for the welding it should be stitch welded along the seams

but strengthening kits like the top suspension should be completely welded

Thanks. Was thinking about a custom cage.

sounds of silence

spot on :blush:

Dj_mini

Iv found the only way to get a decent weld on the seams is to burn the seam sealer out first with a blow torch :blush: id also look at the master cylinder area as this tends to flex under heavy braking

Cameron
Iv found the only way to get a decent weld on the seams is to burn the seam sealer out first with a blow torch.

Good idea that. :blush:

PaulJLLD

Well i know custom cages are good but not cheap but what price do you put on yourself as a driver and the person sitting in the silly seat?

base-1

Do it. The car will be safer, it will drive better before you need to test the safety and if you don't, it will last longer before falling apart. If you are going to the extent of cutting up the rear for proper suspension, seam welding in comparison is a piece of piss, just time consuming. Just do it, you would be a fool not to quite frankly :)

Edited by base-1

PaulJLLD
Do it. The car will be safer, it will drive better before you need to test the safety and if you don't, it will last longer before falling apart. If you are going to the extent of cutting up the rear for proper suspension, seam welding in comparison is a piece of piss, just time consuming. Just do it, you would be a fool not to quite frankly :)

Thanks i think you are right there. just got to get me ass in gear and start doing it. :)

philfingers

This is some of the work done to mine http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry917092

Custom Cages or the SD full weld in cages are both good. Start with the cleanest tidiest shell you can find (mine wasn't and I regret it now). You'd be looking at around £2k for a proper cage fitted correctly and strengethed too.

See my thread above, I fitted the pedal box plate on the inside to prevent the problems with m/c clearance (with servo) and 16v's. If you press the brake hard enough the throttle pedal moves too!

Strut tops (for road rallying or gravel- not all ways neccesary for smooth tar tho), pedal box and floor pans worth doing. Where you stop is up to you!

www.britishrally.co.uk is worth a look too on the technical forum

PaulJLLD
This is some of the work done to mine http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry917092

Custom Cages or the SD full weld in cages are both good. Start with the cleanest tidiest shell you can find (mine wasn't and I regret it now). You'd be looking at around £2k for a proper cage fitted correctly and strengethed too.

See my thread above, I fitted the pedal box plate on the inside to prevent the problems with m/c clearance (with servo) and 16v's. If you press the brake hard enough the throttle pedal moves too!

Strut tops (for road rallying or gravel- not all ways neccesary for smooth tar tho), pedal box and floor pans worth doing. Where you stop is up to you!

www.britishrally.co.uk is worth a look too on the technical forum

Iv got a very tidy pust free shell paint work is abit iffy tho.

I just want to have a tidy well put together shell to start with i have lots of good parts off my old car aswel.