• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest midlife-pug

Motronic Mp3.1 Management

Guest midlife-pug

Hi there,

I've been reading up on various topics, namely welshpug's and pugtorque's and the conversion to motronic MP3.1 seems to be fairly worthwhile upgrade to the 205.

I know that the 405 sri and zx volcane have the system but due to their rarity I've no doubt that it'll be easier finding rocking horse s**t!!

Does anyone know if there any other models that use this management. There was a link in an old post but that doesn't appear to work anymore.

Also, can anyone tell me the main differences between the motronic 1.3 as fitted to cat equipped 205's and the MP3.1. Are any parts common to both systems as 1.3 will obviously be far more common.

Many thanks, Gary.

welshpug

the systems fitted to the 205 with cat still had dizzy AFM and additionally a Lambda, so there aren't many compatible components at all :)

I do know someone why may sell their ecu+Loom though.

ZX Volcane 1.9 litre, 91-95 Bosch Motronic MP3.1, 0 261 200 212.

BX GTi 1.9 litre 8 Valve, 90-95 Bosch Motronic MP3.1, 0 261 200 206. quite rare I gather.

not all MP3.1's are AFM-less.

Edited by welshpug

Guest midlife-pug

Ok, thanks for that.

I may well be interested, it just depends how hard it would be to sourcethe rest of the parts.

From reading i take it I'll need, ecu, loom with sensors, inlet manifold with map sensor pipe, toothed flywheel, thermostat housing and coilpack with leads.

Do you know if any of these parts are common to other models?

welshpug

the thermostat housing I believe is common to all 8v XU's, the ecu temperature sender the same as the Jetronic Blue one.

you don't need to change the Inlet at all, or the throttle body, though you may need to shorten the spindle for the TPS ( I think I used the ZX throttle body, it looked identical to my original apart from a slightly shorter throttle spindle)

MAP sensor pipe, any bog standard vac pipe will do, there's a port on the bottom of the throttle body that it can be connected just after the throttle butterfly that is large enough for a Vac signal.

Crank sensor and associated flywheel as mentioned, either a 1.9 Mi16 flywheel and clutch assembly, or an XU7 flywheel and the original gti clutch.

coilpack, any XU coilpack will fit, as will many 106 items.

leads for a 1.9 fit the best, 2.0 ones have different rubber boots on the ends.

SAD you can use the original.

Intake pipe, one off a ZX best if you have the original airbox, this has a boss for the Inlet temperature sensor, if you have a K&N you'd need to make the Filter fit the K&N adapter pipe and fit the sensor into this somewhere.

I think my friend may have most of the parts needed.

Guest midlife-pug

Info appreciated.

I want to stick with my 8v 1.9 but anything that improves the basic engine is worth a go. Having changed your own car do you think that the improvements are worth while and have you had any probs following the change.

Also, if your friend has the parts and feels like selling them then give me a pm with what he has and an idea on price. Failing that I'll have to do some scrappy trawling!!

welshpug

It was definitely worth the time to fit it, which in reality isn't very long at all when you get your head around the wiring.

Certainly much nicer to drive, better on fuel, and more power, I had before and after power runs on the same RR :)

I haven't experienced any problems associated with the management since at all.

richsmells

All the bits required come up for sale on here from time to time.