• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
domxs

Ma Gearbox With Cable Shift

domxs

Hey I'm building a 205 with the saxo vts engine in.

I've search all I can on the forum, however its difficult to search for anything to do with the MA gearbox when you can't search for anything with less than 3 letters in a word!

So what I need is some help with what cars were fitted with the MA box that had cable shift?

Is it possible to fit the mechanism to my MA box or did the french dramatically change the box?

I've tryed looking at all the photos I can find to try and physically see one but can't find a decent on! even been to the scrappy.....

As far as I know the 307 1.6 petrol had an MA box and cable shift, but cant find much info on it.

Any help with this would be great.

cheers

allanallen

why do you need a cable shift? 205s were available with an ma box so you can use the standard gear set up of a non gti petrol model.

also have a look at the be4(i think) conversion, its basically a be gearbox that mounts to the tu block. You'll get a much stronger box with readily available gear sets/ratios, I think these were fitted to most 1600 307s and alot of citreons. its an easy conversion in a 205 as you can use the gti shafts.

might be worth a look on www.106rallye.com or www.106owners.com

Edited by allanallen

Sandy

The TU BE gearbox is a much better option. Picasso, C4, 307.

welshpug

should imagine you can make it fit, the V6 205's use cable shift on their ML gearboxes, but I'm not sure if the MA arrangement sits in the same way as it does cause clearance issues in the smaller 106/saxo engine bays.

TU - BE box as mentioned would be your best approach, they fit fairly straightforward into a 205 I believe.

not 100% on the parts required, but here's what I think you'll need.

BE4 box from 1.6 TU engined car, including the intermediate driveshaft housing,

Possibly original 205 BE driveshafts, 1.6 would fit 1.6 and base model hubs due to the size of the spline at the hub end.

Gear linkages to suit.

Unsure of clutch arrangement, there are a few different ones.

domxs

I will look into that BE box idea....

One of my main reasons or trying to swap to cable shift is to relocate the gear stick to dash hight..

Having driven a couple of civic type r's (and settled on a leon cupra tdi), thats about the only thing I REALLY liked! Yeah they're fun when your about to bounce off the rev limiter, but when your just trying to drive them they are gutless. However having the gearstick so close it does make for some very procise and quick gear changes.

The other reason for the cable shirt was to do-away with the linkages, to gain some extra room for my vts exhaust pipe. I did ponder on using the TU model 205 linkages and gearchange mechanism... starting to think this may be the cheapest and quickest way. Am i right in thinking you need to remove the linkage mountings from my gti subframe, and fit the mountigs from a xs (for example)? I kmow people seem to swop subframes but then you loose the geometry of the gti!

I willl look into the BE-TU box, as that's using more of the parts I have available. What's involved in fitting one of these to a TU?

cheers for the replies guys.

allanallen

yes i think you have to alter the linkage mountings on a gti subframe when fitting an ma box. Cant see how the vts exhaust will cause you any problems though??

johnnyboy666

sorry to hijack a little but im very interesting in learning a few more details about this MA/BE box this sounds ideal for me aswell, is it as straight-forward as people are making out or is there any issues that could crop up? ive only seen this done once (i think) and the gearbox looked pretty big compared to the original. although im not sure what type of box that was.

also what happens with the gear linkages? do they use the tu type bit on the subframe or the xu?

thanks

john