• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest baileysufc

205 Rallye Strnge Starting Problem

Guest baileysufc

hi all apologyies if this has been covered before but i couldnt find it

i hqave a 205 rallye it will start fine when it is cold but when it is warm and left for more than 10 mins then when you atempt to start it again it refuses to start unless u have the throttle flat on the floor once started it runs fine

thanks troy

one-lady-owner

If its a UK rallye, with the TU3S engine solex z2 carb then that is completely normal!!! If you look in the Peugeot owners manual the procedure from new for starting a warm engine is throttle to the floor, my XS was exactly the same!!

AndyJ

Peer down the carb once you swtich off... a knackered float valve will cause fuel to drip from the jets and flood the manifold and cause it to be a right pain to start from hot, but brilliant from cold cos of the richening!

Mark205

My xs used to do that, start exellent from cold, but if left for anything from 15-30 minutes when hot it would take the engine to turn bout 7 or 8 times to kick in.

Didnt always do it though so i guess the carb was knackered.

The foot to the floor thing never made any difference either.

You could take your car to a rolling road, they might be able to strip the carb, clean it up and then put it back together before setting it up on the rollers.

Could be worth a shot.

Jrod

It's not normal.

I've seen a few XSs with it and I think it was traced back to ignition (leads plugs dizzy etc?) but am not 100% sure.

Try a search as it has been covered quite a few times.

BERTMAN

UK rallyes dont have XS engines, it is normal though..they have a 75hp lump TU3/4 or something. had similar symtoms with mine, i tighntened all the connections on my starter, alternator seemed to help abit...

Edited by BERTMAN

Mark205
It's not normal.

I've seen a few XSs with it and I think it was traced back to ignition (leads plugs dizzy etc?) but am not 100% sure.

Try a search as it has been covered quite a few times.

Dont think it would be due to ignition as it started alright any other time, apart from being left for 15-30 minutes warm.

Definatley think it was due to carb, i think the carbs are all a bit crap now as most of them are 18-20 years old.

Jrod

I've only known 1 do it between the 8 me and my mate have had.

He changed all the plugs leads etc but also rebuilt the carb and it never happened again.

Guest baileysufc

haha yer its a uk rallye ok then so its not only me

think a new set of plug leads is the best bet next lol

solex carbs are bad is there any othr carb from different manufacture sthat are a straight or little modification fit

not bohtere dabout perforamce increase

thansk troy

Guest Mallaby106

I wouldn't bother replacing the leads and plugs or anything like that,i would just strip the carb down, clean it and rebuild it and also i would replace the fuel filter and hopefully that would cure it. Has it always been like that since you've had it or has it started doing it recently?

Edited by Mallaby106

Guest baileysufc

eevr since ive had it tbh i was goign to do tyaht as well the fuel filter is new not long back hoe much are rebuild kist for these carbs anyway?

thanks troy

Mark205

The weber 36 tlc will fit the tu engine, although it is only single choke so not quite as nice to drive as the solex although their wasnt much difference in power and it was more reliable than the solex i was using.

I have a manifold to fit that carb to the tu engine but i dont have the carb anymore.

Guest baileysufc

not to sounds stupid whats the differenct between single and double choke? i asume double will give a smoother response ?

thansk troy

Mark205

The twin choke gives more of a kick and is more pleasurable to drive as you kinda get a small boost when the second choke opens, (not to sound to fast and furious), but it doesnt make for smoother driving, makes no difference at all.

I changed back to solex when my weber started to play up, and the only difference was that the pedal had a bit more resistance half way down when the second choke opened, but i think that the mechanism was a bit stiff on the carb.

pugdamo

Hi mate,it is normal,its caused by the heat transfer from the head back into the inlet manifold,once its left the inlet manifold warms up and evaporates the fuel supply,it cranks for so long because its pumping fuel back to the carb. Not much you can do im afraid

Jrod

All the replies that say its normal are wrong imo.

Mark205

I agree with Jrod, i dont think its normal for a car to crank 8 times to get it going, even if it is from the late 80's early 90's.

Mine used to annoy me when it wouldn't start and it never felt 'normal' that it should have been doing that.

Jrod

We've cured it before but as I said we replaced everything so its hard to pinpoint what actually fixed it.

Mark205

I dont miss it, my cars running a gti engine with bike carbs now so it starts every time, never cuts out and the performance is amazing.

pugdamo

Good luck trying to find it,i have heard of people using PTFE gaskets to cure heat transfer problems that might work.

AndyJ

If anyones still interested, i tried to get a carb rebuild kit for one of these the other day...pug asking £75 quid for one!!! :rolleyes: so said no thanks!

Jrod

That's about right and we got one.

The worst bit is you only need about 10% of the kit.

AndyJ
That's about right and we got one.

The worst bit is you only need about 10% of the kit.

The service guy said he could get most of the bits seperate anyway, so I just ordered the valve I needed for £8... success! :blush:

djinuk
I agree with Jrod, i dont think its normal for a car to crank 8 times to get it going, even if it is from the late 80's early 90's.

Mine used to annoy me when it wouldn't start and it never felt 'normal' that it should have been doing that.

renault 5 turbos turn over countless times, reason being the fuel evaporates from the carb due to heat , so the float chamber has to refill again.

enduro
renault 5 turbos turn over countless times, reason being the fuel evaporates from the carb due to heat , so the float chamber has to refill again.

if its heat transfer evaporating the fuel from the float chamber then who fills it up again for the car to start instantly from cold? spooky!