• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Very Short Ratio Gearboxes - Lower That 1.6gti

Batfink

My 1.6 gti will be on the road after the weather turns for the better. I am putting a new engine in and am thinking about the gearbox while it is out.

Now sitting around I have a straight cut short ratio box thats worth more than people will buy at so i've kept it. If I fitted it the car would top out at 110mph and at 70mph my calculations are just under 4500revs

Would it drive me nuts? car would not be driven everyday though would have to do a bit of duel carriageway. Methinks I could just cruise at 60mph for that....

projectpug

Would be fine IMO as you said just adjust your cruising speed to suit 60/65 will be fine. :lol:

James_R

I've driven a couple of shorter geared cars and for daily I couldn't really hack that shorter set up, I did cope with 70@4k though so maybe it wouldn't be soo bad, but it's frustration when you run out of gears before power at times.

:lol:

Put a slightly longer final in?

EdCherry

Just go for it, your ears arn't gonna start bleeding, I hope.

Anthony

With a sensible exhaust it wouldn't be too bad from a revs point of view, although clearly it's going to depend how much the box whines.

The gearbox on my 205 XS isn't much longer that what you're proposing (around 75mph at 4500rpm IIRC) and that happily does many miles on the motorway.

Batfink

The gearbox will not whine at all as it runs a standard final drive, everything else on the car will be standard :lol:

Might go for it then..should be a laugh!

Plate diff should be interesting!

Anthony

No harm in fitting it and seeing how you get on - worse comes to worse and you don't like it, it's only a few hours work to pull it off and fit a standard 'box back on :lol:

James_R

maybe delimit the ecu too if you're going for it :lol:

brumster

Is it really straight cut? If so I'd expect a little whine but I must admit I've never heard of a straight cut gearset being very popular for the old BE's.

Short ratios are cracking.... 4.8 in a 1.6 box... 7800 revs... perfectly practical :lol:

Batfink
Is it really straight cut? If so I'd expect a little whine but I must admit I've never heard of a straight cut gearset being very popular for the old BE's.

Short ratios are cracking.... 4.8 in a 1.6 box... 7800 revs... perfectly practical :lol:

its a straight cut with syncromesh, had the end casing off to check and at least fifth gear is straight cut B) Its from an italian firm so maybe more popular on the continent.

The previous owner said it was a quiet box like standard but he was running it on a 220bhp 8v racecar so maybe he couldnt hear it lol

Worth a punt methinks

Sign in to follow this