• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ravydavy

Wilwood Brakes

ravydavy

Hi I've just bought a second hand pair of 4 pot wilwoods. Has anyone ever used them? I'm just wondering what pads to buy as they need replacing, also what's available(old ones are completely gone) does anyone apart from wilwood make them for the calipers. Oh they are midilites

Cheers lads

Edited by ravydavy

Nathan

Speak to these guys questmead, thats who I use to buy pads for my wilwoods ,they usually have pads on the shelf, but I often get them to grind me up some custom ones as I have odd needs being a hill climber! .

Edited by Nathan

Spiky

ds2500 or ds3000 :)

there is a massive post on the 306 gti6 forum

what wheels you going to be using?

ravydavy

Cheers nathan I will.

Spiky I've got two sets of team dynamics pro race 1.2's. There is loadsa room for the calipers If that's what you mean.

I've also got a set of 1.9 speedlines but not tried em yet. Hope they fit. I know with the 406 brembo's you need spacers. Hope the wilwoods are more forgiving.

Hey nathan your pads will have über amounts of bite from cold then?

I remember my dad taking me to harewood hillclimb when I were a lad.

You know I might give it a go one day.

Edited by ravydavy

Spiky
Cheers nathan I will.

Spiky I've got two sets of team dynamics pro race 1.2's. There is loadsa room for the calipers If that's what you mean.

I've also got a set of 1.9 speedlines but not tried em yet. Hope they fit. I know with the 406 brembo's you need spacers. Hope the wilwoods are more forgiving.

good to hear about the 1.2's as i'm considering them, as they are light.

as for the std 1.9's a guy on the 306 forum says you will need a 15-16mm spacer

so will be interesting for you to fit and see how they go :rolleyes:

ravydavy

Yeah the dynamics are sweet and more importantly the wheels are made in the good old GB. Which is where all our parts should be produced. I bought mine off eBay with a best offer of 300 quid. Which isn't bad in my eyes. If your gettin some I'll dig through and find out where I got em from. There is loads of room for brakes under the 1.2's. Very forgiving.

Rippthrough
Which is where all our parts should be produced.

Wilwoods? :angry::rolleyes:

ravydavy

Hey maybe if some other British brake producers brought their prices down then that's what I'd be buying. I got these for a bargain. And who turns a bargain down. Even I don't like buying foreign when we have so many talented workers in this country. There is such a variation in prices for similar products it's unreal. You can't tell me an AP four pot caliper is any better than a wilwood four pot. The design is surely too simple to go wrong.

Rippthrough
Hey maybe if some other British brake producers brought their prices down then that's what I'd be buying. I got these for a bargain. And who turns a bargain down. Even I don't like buying foreign when we have so many talented workers in this country. There is such a variation in prices for similar products it's unreal. You can't tell me an AP four pot caliper is any better than a wilwood four pot. The design is surely too simple to go wrong.

There's a fair bit to the details that makes a difference, especially the sealing system, but yes, the new midilites are damned good.

I'm making my own at the minute, hows that for british-made :rolleyes:

Edited by Rippthrough

ravydavy

I'll be a proper traitor when I shove a vtec engine In my new 205 shell. He he. One instance of the price variation is I bought a new ally mi16 flywheel for 200 quid from Kad. Now if you look elsewhere they are wanting 400+. Someone is having a laugh at ours(the clubmans) expense.

Rippthrough
I'll be a proper traitor when I shove a vtec engine In my new 205 shell. He he. One instance of the price variation is I bought a new ally mi16 flywheel for 200 quid from Kad. Now if you look elsewhere they are wanting 400+. Someone is having a laugh at ours(the clubmans) expense.

Traitor :angry:

£200 for an ally flywheel is a bargain, it'd cost me more than that to make one :rolleyes:

Edited by Rippthrough

ravydavy

i like it. home-made...

wish i had the time and the patience dude...

but i am going to put a honda vtec in my 205 which i might add is brave seeing as the most difficult thing ive done is fitting a new clutch to a renault 5 turbo..

i can't wait

watch this space

yeah i thought it was cheap for a flywheel too dude...

oh the arb's are cheap too... think they are about 105 quid for the 205/309 etc

Edited by ravydavy

Rippthrough
good to hear about the 1.2's as i'm considering them, as they are light.

as for the std 1.9's a guy on the 306 forum says you will need a 15-16mm spacer

With tthe gti6 kit yes, depends if it's the kit that uses a wilwood disc or the one which uses a stock gti6 disc.

ravydavy

funny you should say that ripp...

my kit is suppossed to be a 285mm by 21mm kit from rally design.

now i measured the disc and its 277 by 26 or something like that.

so what the hells going on there?? i even had to put a washer on the yoke that attaches to the hub so the disc was central in the caliper..

Rippthrough
funny you should say that ripp...

my kit is suppossed to be a 285mm by 21mm kit from rally design.

now i measured the disc and its 277 by 26 or something like that.

so what the hells going on there?? i even had to put a washer on the yoke that attaches to the hub so the disc was central in the caliper..

Weird, problem is the discs aren't cheap either, hence the gti6 kit.

Edited by Rippthrough

ravydavy

oh lovely..

don't hi spec do a two piece disc in that size of 277/26mm

i'm gonna ring them monday.

problem is they won't want to deal with me seeing as ive got wilwoods and trying to do things on a budget..

i can see this being stressfull

Rippthrough

About £110 for the wilwood ones iirc.

I thought the hispecs started at 285mm one piece?

Am I cheering you up yet?

Edited by Rippthrough

projectpug

300mm iirc to get hispecs in 2piece

Rippthrough
300mm iirc to get hispecs in 2piece

That's it, make him even happier :)

cir287

I put a set of wilwood 4pot calipers and 300mm (???) discs ( now its about 10 years ago so things may well have changed) on a 309 Gti 16v,

I did a fair bit of looking around first, the reason I went for the wilwoods was the price and that they would fit under the 15" OZ compomotive wheels I used (for racing) I couldnt use the std 1.9 wheels anymore as they hit the caliper.

the std pads were rubbish but whatever ones I got after that were great, wore very well and didnt knacker discs.

just my puppence worth, may be of no real help !

d-9

You may find you need to replace the seals on the willwoods when you fit them, mine had done a shelf tour and pissed fluid out of 7 of the pistons when i tried to bleed them, seals are about £20 from ral des. In fact, if theyve been sat around for a while i'd do that before you bother fitting them, to save taking them on and off and on and off and on and off. I <3 GTI6 calipers :lol:

ravydavy

Yeah your right I should have got a service kit as I needed a full set of bleed nipples cause they were all seized solid. Luckily they aren't leaking any fluid. Well not at the minute anyway. Anyone tried the polymatrix pad from wilwood? Apparently you have to get emwarm first before they really start to bite.

Rippthrough

We run the 'A' compound on the buggy, bite well from bold, and just get better as they get hotter, they do wear discs a bit quicker though.