• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Spiky

List Of Parts Need To Run Gti6 On Carbs

Spiky

i've never done a Carb Conversion before so was wondering if someone can make me a lsit of things to buy/ditch inorder to run my gti6 engine on carbs

if people know the price of parts, that would be great too

thanks in advance :)

welshpug

why carbs and not throttle bodies? have you seen the price of carbs new?

Baz

Close to the price of throttle bodies yes, but then minus management carbs are still alot cheaper...

Here's a brief list for you;

Inlet manifold, carbs, linkage, trumpets, filters, fuel pressure regulator, low pressure pump (optional) fuel hose and throttle cable.

Edited by Baz

Spiky

cost is the main factor,

getting, TB second hand and Carbs second had is a big difference

i've estimated to run TB's it would cost me 1500-2000

and for a 30-40bhp increase thats not cost effective

ravydavy

Hi spiky if you do get some carbs then I have a linkage for the twin 45's. There wasn't enought room on mine so I bought a new under linkage kit. The spare one I have is the top linkage. F.O.C to you mate. Give me a shout if you need it.

Regards David.

Spiky

Thanks dave that a very nice offer :)

currently i'm just weighing up the costs of doing it

projectpug

You have Pm spiky :) , I have a full spare setup for a 1.9 8v so all you would need to ditch is the manifold.

Stu

Dont forget the ignition side of things, people have only mentioned fuelling so far mate.

For your info, im doing a similar conversion on my Mi and im using Megajolt, the assembled V4 kit was £125 delivered with a few extras, i got a trigger wheel for £15, and the EDIS bits stand me at around £15-£20.

Ive still got the loom to build, but that wouldnt be too expensive relatively.

So far, ive spent:

45 Dellorto's - Ebay find - £115 delivered

Rebuild kit - Fast Road Cars - £45ish i think?

Colin Satchell inlet - £200 delivered, plus a spare Mi inlet (i know this sounds expensive, but its a lovely piece of work, and a fair increase in tract length when compared to a Longman/Jenvey item)

Mangoloetsi flat linkage - £60ish

Ignition side: £160 to date

Still need to buy a fuel pump, regulator and a set of filters. :)

Edited by Stu

Spiky

stu.

Great info. Am i right im thinking it wont need mapping. But maybe just setup and thats it?

Stu

It'll need mapping ideally mate as the ignition system is a proper 3D affair, so the advance needs to be set to load, rpm, temp correction etc.

The carbs are pretty straight forward from what i can gather, i had a look on here and in the general books and stuff to get the jetting etc as close as possible, but it'll still need a session on the roller's to get it bang on.

Just so you know, Sandy is capable of doing the setting up (both carbs and 'jolt) and its my hope to get him on the case when im ready :)

Edited by Stu

hexhamstu
It'll need mapping ideally mate as the ignition system is a proper 3D affair, so the advance needs to be set to load, rpm, temp correction etc.

The carbs are pretty straight forward from what i can gather, i had a look on here and in the general books and stuff to get the jetting etc as close as possible, but it'll still need a session on the roller's to get it bang on.

Just so you know, Sandy is capable of doing the setting up (both carbs and 'jolt) and its my hope to get him on the case when im ready :)

can you please start a project thread, when it comes to putting the loom together and down to the final mapping session as i am v.interested in getting mine running on megajolt. having someone who has already done it with a carb set up would be great!

Stu

Yeah will do, ive been intending to do a thread on the entire car tbh, just never got round to it :)

Spiky

thanks for the offers guys,

but i wont be going down the Carb route now

:)

Baz

TB's??

Sign in to follow this