• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest leelee

Budget Suspension And Brake Upgrade

Guest leelee

hey ive decided to budget my 205 1.6 gti build (will be a gti6) with £500 for suspension and brakes.

currently i ve decided that im going to opt for gti6 front brakes with uprated pads and possibly uprated disks, this also means i need the speedlines. reading the forums over and over again i think that i'll keep the standard 1.6 rear beam with drums. now this seems like a pretty tried and tested upgrade so far but im unsure about suspension. my budget wont alllow coilovers so ive been looking at other "sport kits" from koni for example which lower the car 30mm. these go for about £250 which seems reasonable but are they worth the money or should i even consider just buying lowering springs? the car is for road use with maybe the occasional track day.

Chris_Mi

leelee

I am in the process of doing exactly the same as you, so I have spend a while researching the options. Just read through the many posts on here regarding budget suspension and many peops will recommend Bilstein. If you want to lower the car I believe you can get Bilstein Group N front suspension, with some Eibach lowering springs (recommended by many) for a very reasonable price. Give Miles on here a shout - he really does offer reasonable prices.

For the rear, many people agree that the standard 306 gti-6 rear dampers from Peugeot are a great budget upgrade. I think the code for them is "K6" something. From Pug, off the top of my head they are about £40 a side.

Please take note though - I am only putting these suggestions forward as a reflection of what I have read/my research. I have no experience of driving any car with this suspension, but am hoping to buy these for my car in the next few months.

Hope this helps anyway

Chris

hey ive decided to budget my 205 1.6 gti build (will be a gti6) with £500 for suspension and brakes.

currently i ve decided that im going to opt for gti6 front brakes with uprated pads and possibly uprated disks, this also means i need the speedlines. reading the forums over and over again i think that i'll keep the standard 1.6 rear beam with drums. now this seems like a pretty tried and tested upgrade so far but im unsure about suspension. my budget wont alllow coilovers so ive been looking at other "sport kits" from koni for example which lower the car 30mm. these go for about £250 which seems reasonable but are they worth the money or should i even consider just buying lowering springs? the car is for road use with maybe the occasional track day.

Chris_Mi

leelee,

Also, I would ditch the idea of the gti-6 brakes; just bin the 1.6 bendix brakes and fit some 1.9 gti girling calipers. I have done exactly that to my Mi16 (on a 1.6 gti shell) - the 1.9 girlings fit straight to the 1.6 hubs, and you won't need to buy the 1.9 speedlines. It will save you money (on both calipers and alloys), and personally I think the big brake/gti-6 setup is a bit over the top, especially when the 1.9 calipers are more than adequate for the job.

Regards

Chris

projectpug

As for budget front suspension i have exactly that. I bought from GAZ direct and was IRO £200 + i could specify what lb front springs i wanted. So far the whole kit had done at least 30 track days and has in my mind been excellent value for money. If i had the money i would go for Gaz Golds/Billies but at the time when i had just bought the car i too didn't have loads to spend on the suspension.

Dont just buy lowering springs on there own as the dampers like the Gaz are adjustable and i tend to turn them right up on smooth tracks and find it gives good handling.

Thanks

Chris_Mi

Forgot to say, if you did get the 1.9 girlings, you would need to get some shorter caliper bolts. Not a problem to source and probably a couple of pence each from a motorfactors

Chris

leelee,

Also, I would ditch the idea of the gti-6 brakes; just bin the 1.6 bendix brakes and fit some 1.9 gti girling calipers. I have done exactly that to my Mi16 (on a 1.6 gti shell) - the 1.9 girlings fit straight to the 1.6 hubs, and you won't need to buy the 1.9 speedlines. It will save you money (on both calipers and alloys), and personally I think the big brake/gti-6 setup is a bit over the top, especially when the 1.9 calipers are more than adequate for the job.

Regards

Chris

GTI6BOY

I got some 6 brakes for sale

Brand new seals and been powdercoated red and fully rebuilt.

Comes with 285mm drilled and grooved ebc discs.

£200 and you can pick them up from me in Alton?

kilauea

I am using KYB AGX dampers combined with lowering springs from auto-five.

I really like them. Firm but not crashy and adjustable anyway. They are dead cheap for adjustables.

They can be had for less than £200 for 4 shocks.

Tom Fenton

To the original poster- bear in mind that to use GTI6 brakes, you will need 1.9 hubs, and also 1.9 driveshafts. GTI6 brakes will not fit on standard 1600 front susp.

PaulJLLD

Arnt gti6 front brakes abit overkill on a 205? plus incressing you unsprung weight alot?

266mm from a 206 gti be a much better upgrade. i have them with DS3000 pads on the 205 road rally car and thay were spot on. :wub:

Tom Fenton

Some say yes, some say no. I have them on a track only 205 and they are great, no fade no matter how hard they are used. However for my road 205 which is undergoing a few changes at the moment, I am going to try a set of 266mm brakes.

projectpug

A good brake option is the keep the standard caliper but use good braided hoses,ferodo ds2500/3000 pads and some good brake fluid. This should provide ample braking for 90% of 205's.

platty

You will also require longer flexi hoses for the GTI-6 brakes, which again, will eat into your budget.

Guest leelee

yeh as i originally said this is a road use car with the possability of some track day fun. i figured the gti6 brakes would be a good idea as im putting the gti6 engine and gearbox in the car so heavy on the front end. i'll need to put the gti6 driveshafts on it any way wont i? coukld i just upgarde the standard disks and pads and use dot5.1 fluid and braided hoses - but that would be a lot more expensive then just putting standard gti6 disks and calipers and it and i could run standard pads and lines effectively as everyones saying their bordering on overkill especailly for a road car. im gonna check the prices for some gaz suspension kits - what spring rate should i go for?

Baz

You can't run std lines with '6 calipers as said, you need longer jobbies. :)

Para
A good brake option is the keep the standard caliper but use good braided hoses,ferodo ds2500/3000 pads and some good brake fluid. This should provide ample braking for 90% of 205's.

What brake fluid would you recommend for that setup ?

large
yeh as i originally said this is a road use car with the possability of some track day fun. i figured the gti6 brakes would be a good idea as im putting the gti6 engine and gearbox in the car so heavy on the front end. i'll need to put the gti6 driveshafts on it any way wont i?

I think you will find the 306 driveshafts to long. I would also bin the gearbox and run a 1.9 box with a 4:4 final drive.

I am not 100% about the driveshafts could someone please confirm. or call me a dull c***.

Nathan
im gonna check the prices for some gaz suspension kits - what spring rate should i go for?

I've got a set of very good condition billy's for sale, should be well within your budget, have a look in the for sale section

Sorry for the shameless plug! :huh:

projectpug
What brake fluid would you recommend for that setup ?

I have found AP551 (AP racing) very good its good for road and competition use they do a AP600 which is competition only.

I buy mine from demon tweeks i will try find a link and post it up. This isn't the only good fluid but the only one i have tested others have tried castrol/motul brake fluid with good results. Just make sure the whole system is bled through thoroughly and it is important not to mix different types of fluids.

Hope this helps

Phil

Edited by projectpug