• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

Electric Wing Mirrors

platty

Had a search around and not found anything.

Is it possible to canabalise a set out of say a 405 or 306 etc, and fit into a 205?

Anyone tried this, or any thoughts?

Super Josh

The phase 1 309s had the same mirrors as the 205. Some of these were heated and that's where I got mine from, along with the wiring loom too.

You can still get the heated glass from Pug, but only available for one side now :lol:

Josh

platty

ah, cool. Are they just heated, or can you motor them aswell?

Goliath

They are just heated (I have some for sale if you want a pair :rolleyes: ) It would be interesting to see if it could be done to make them electrically adjustable like you are thinking, it should be possible but I dont think it has been done before!

GLPoomobile
Had a search around and not found anything.

Is it possible to canabalise a set out of say a 405 or 306 etc, and fit into a 205?

Anyone tried this, or any thoughts?

Same train of thought as me! I had this idea in my head last year. I wanted to get a 405 mirror to butcher but they aren't cheap on eBay and I'm still a scrap yard virgin.

You'd need to chop out the chunky metal bar from inside the 205 mirror to get the gubbins in, I reckon. This is part of the swivel mechanism, so I guess you'd also need to modify the mirror to lock in a fixed position, but once you've got the motor in it'll be the glass lens that moves on it's own.

I noticed you can only get the heated glass for one side now, like Josh said, which I find odd. But I'd imagine it's just a few wires stuck to the back to form a heating element, so I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do a DIY copy.

omega

quick hijack of subject but how do you remove the mirror glass to replace it?

GLPoomobile

It's stuck on with very strong adhesive. You need to prise it off. IIRC (going back about 8 years to when I last did this LOL) I stuck my fingers inside where the convaluted rubber sleeve goes (pull it out and peel it back) and just pushed the mirror from behind with my fingers, then prised it off once I had enough pushed out past the body of the mirror.

welshpug

405 will fit, won't need butchering at all I dont think, the 309 mirror will fit a 405, and vice versa, and the 309 doors are the same as 205 doors...

they are bloody huge compared to a 205 mirror though, so I think they would look out of place somewhat.

omega
It's stuck on with very strong adhesive. You need to prise it off. IIRC (going back about 8 years to when I last did this LOL) I stuck my fingers inside where the convaluted rubber sleeve goes (pull it out and peel it back) and just pushed the mirror from behind with my fingers, then prised it off once I had enough pushed out past the body of the mirror.

thanks

stee 1FM

very cool mod if you can pull it off

GLPoomobile
405 will fit, won't need butchering at all I dont think, the 309 mirror will fit a 405, and vice versa, and the 309 doors are the same as 205 doors...

they are bloody huge compared to a 205 mirror though, so I think they would look out of place somewhat.

That's the point though, nobody wants fugly 405 mirrors on a 205, so the challenge is to make OE 205 GTI mirrors with the electric gubbins inside.

platty

Indeed. The challenge will be finding a motor small enough to fit inside a 205 mirror.

welshpug

306 innards maybe? quite a compact mirror though they do stick out further.

platty

Yes, I was thinking 306, or maybe a 106?

But then again, does it have to be from a Peugeot?

Phil H

Citreon BX 16v had adjustable mirrors. Was going to wire the in my car, but as they are like 309 mirrors, they look like slabs.