• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Rallee

Anti Roll Bar Removal

205Rallee

Well I'm trying to swap the 17mm anti rollbar on a 205 Euro Rallye (same front suspension as 1.6 GTi) , with a 22mm 309Gti anti roll bar. The only problem is that the original bar is held in by pressed steel, say 2mm thick clamps that bolt in from above with the nuts on the bottom of the subframe.

The Haynes manual shows the bolt coming up through the subframe and screwing into the threaded cast iron clamp,

The problem is I've got the nuts off one side but can't get the pressed steel clamp off the rubber bush. I've removed the drop links on both sides but I've not removed the nuts on the right hand side.

Even if I can get the old bar out there just doesn't look like there's going to be enough space betwen the top of the subframe and the underside of the bodywork. Also the bolts are missing from the 309gti bar clamps I've got - anybody know the bolt size/thread?

Am I being stupid, is the TU24 rallye different to the 1.6?

I would post some photos, but I don't know how to do it!

swordfish210

I think there was a thread with a good "how too guide" with some good pics on here some time ago. To remove the ARB you need to: remove the droplinks, undo the clamp bolts holding the ARB to the subframe, undo the rear subframe bolts, remove the bolt for the lower engine mount, pull the subframe down, prise the ARB clamp bolts off and the bushes, prise the ARB through the subframe.

205Rallee
I think there was a thread with a good "how too guide" with some good pics on here some time ago. To remove the ARB you need to: remove the droplinks, undo the clamp bolts holding the ARB to the subframe, undo the rear subframe bolts, remove the bolt for the lower engine mount, pull the subframe down, prise the ARB clamp bolts off and the bushes, prise the ARB through the subframe.

So the Haynes manual is a bit misleading then! I've done everything but undo the rear subframe mounts, was trying to avoid that. Once the rear mounts are undone how easy is it to pull the subframe down?

Tom Fenton

Just a bit of constructive critiscm; I fitted a 309 GTI ARB to the front of my mi16 track car- it was a backwards step, more understeer. Unless you have big rear torsion bars and rear anti roll bar I'd really think twice before you swap it.

swordfish210
So the Haynes manual is a bit misleading then! I've done everything but undo the rear subframe mounts, was trying to avoid that. Once the rear mounts are undone how easy is it to pull the subframe down?

Just pull

205Rallee

Right I'll give it ago tomorrow.

Tom, I've got coilovers on the front with tarmac springs and 21mm tb's and 23mm anti roll bar on the back with solid mounts. If it understeers I'll put the original back on...if I can get it off in the first place. PS did the topmounts turn up ok?

205Rallee

Took me two hours in minus 2 degrees to do it but got there in the end, didn't undo the rear engine mount, managed to lever the subframe with a big bit of wood. Next job front wheel bearings....

Tom Fenton

I also ran the 309 bar with 21mm rear torsion bars and coilovers with 250 and 300lb springs, see how you get on, but I didn't like it.

Yes the top mounts arrived safe thanks!

205Rallee
I also ran the 309 bar with 21mm rear torsion bars and coilovers with 250 and 300lb springs, see how you get on, but I didn't like it.

Yes the top mounts arrived safe thanks!

Not keen on taking it off again...well until it gets above zero degrees. I'll give it ago at the first sprint of the year and see how it goes.