• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
XLR8

Piston Liners - Should The Be A Tight Fit?

XLR8

Im currently rebuilding a 1.6 gti engine... ive removed the liners, cleaned them & the block fully..... But i was wondering - should the liners be a tight fit in the block? My ones just drop in with out much pressure needed (unlike the 'tap with a hammer & block of wood' per the haynes manual).. are they just held inplace by the cylinder head? any help would be appreciated.

dcc

When i did mine, using new orings, they were slightly protruding the head. I took advice from sevral people when fitting them back for the final fit (after sevral test fittings) and foudn that they are pushed into the block by the tightening of the headbolts, as once they have been tightend to the specific torque the liner protrusion would be reduced by the force of the head surface. i think you need to ensure that the liner seats and trheir mating seats on the block face have little or no corrosion, as a slight imperfection can cause endless hastle. I have currently had a problem with my sump getting high pressure, which means ill have top take the lot apart again to check.

I hope this is helpful to you, and not done in an incorrect fashion. If any information is incorrect could somebody inform us, as i would liek to know if its wrong.

Cameron

Yes when they're clean they just slot in. Make sure you check the liner protrusion without the base seals before fitting the head.

XLR8

Brilliant, Thanks for your help guys! :-)

Sign in to follow this