• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

Grip Question

Tesstuff

I know a lot of people swear by the additional width of a 309 beam and i can see the reasoning behind that , but my question is this, if you have two 'quality' tyres and two 'mediocre' tyres on your car, which should be on the front/back ?

It is a FWD car so should we choose the better tyres for the grip there? Or do we try and counter the rear's grip problems by giving that the better tyres ?

If you had a standard 205 Gti 1.9 with cheap tyres up front and a 309 beam and brilliant tyres at the rear would that be a better handling car than having brilliant tyres at the front and cheap ones on the rear?

I might do some swapping around, this slippy weather has got me thinking.

tagy

imo best tyres should be on the rear, unless you like catching unexpected oversteer than put the crap ones on the rear.

Goliath

IMO it depends entirely on the driver, If you can control oversteer then put the crappy tyres on the back and let it slide out a bit :P

If you arent confident then put the crappy tyres on the front as understeer is 'easier' to correct when not expecting it.

Anthony

Depends what you prefer and what you're comfortable with - I personally have the best tires on the front, but can understand why many (most?) would prefer the on the back.

Miles

Good ones on the front of a 205 as front end braking grip is not fantasic on crap tyres compared with other cars, Plus the 'better' tyres should reduce aqua-planing

Rich_p

I'd probably just invest in 2 more decent tyres!

John_B

I suppose it depends on how good and how bad the tyres are and what you're after.

When I bought my first 205 it had Kormorans all round. I changed the fronts first with a pair of F1s and the wet handling was..................... interesting!

Tesstuff
I'd probably just invest in 2 more decent tyres!

I only do about 3,000 miles a year in it so there is little wear at all on all four tyres.If i wore them down to the legal limit it would probably take 10 years :)

Cameron

This is a road car, right?

I'd stick the better tyres on the front as they do the most work, and its nice to have brakes that work. If you're having real problems with oversteer then there's something very very wrong with either your car or your sensitivity with the controls. :rolleyes: I know people go on about the cars having "lethal" oversteer, but its mostly hype and really shouldn't be that bad!

alync406

I would deffinately put the good tyres on the front.Much better for braking,steering and traction.If it is for the track or rally's the rear of the car is not as important as the front to have grip.

hengti

it is personal pref; i'd put them on the back for the sakes of safety and also as you'll wear your undesireable tyres out much quicker on the front, allowing you to justify their replacement sooner

Tesstuff
it is personal pref; i'd put them on the back for the sakes of safety and also as you'll wear your undesireable tyres out much quicker on the front, allowing you to justify their replacement sooner

LOL genius, wear the poorer ones out quicker , and make me feel fine about replacing them :rolleyes:

Like it :(

hengti

thinking about the mileage you do, it might take quite a while to get rid of them (how much tread have they all got?)

that's what i do with my dailys anyway as it saves being lumbered with 'poor' tyres on the back for years

Baz

There's been a topic or 2 about this before.

Depends what you prefer and what you're comfortable with - I personally have the best tires on the front, but can understand why many (most?) would prefer the on the back.

Exactly, i'd rather be able to steer/brake/drive out of any possible accident, the rears don't do alot, and i'm quite comfortable correcting any rear movements with decent tyres on the front!

MarkK

I agree with the last post,so i am swapping my more worn fronts to the back to even out the wear and get some more grip up front,i have no LSD yet and i have been slipping around in this icy weather really bad.