• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hawkesy226

Interested In Changing 1.6 Rear Beam To 1.9

hawkesy226

interested in changing my rear beam to a 1.9 one would this be alot of work? would i need to upgrade front brakes to have the rear discs aswell??

jimistdt
interested in changing my rear beam to a 1.9 one would this be alot of work? would i need to upgrade front brakes to have the rear discs aswell??

+swap* +beam* +brake*

Alright Hawksey, copy/paste the text above into the search box, all will be revealed :blush:

cir287

unless your beam is knackered why change, they are the same ?

you can change the brakes etc without the beam, its been a while (as in 10 years) but as far as I remember you only need to change the stub axles, hubs etc.

please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

hawkesy226
unless your beam is knackered why change, they are the same ?

you can change the brakes etc without the beam, its been a while (as in 10 years) but as far as I remember you only need to change the stub axles, hubs etc.

please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

oh right the main reason is i wanted rear disc brakes instead of drums and if i can do it that way that should be easier what would i need to change the brakes over

Tesstuff

LOL :blush:

Love how you plain ignored jimistdt and his perfect advice for you !!

Search is your friend mate, believe me B)

welshpug

I wouldn't bother with changing to discs, drums work well enough (better infact for the handbrake)

andyjstone
I wouldn't bother with changing to discs, drums work well enough (better infact for the handbrake)

I've been told that too, I still have the drums on the back, but with really nice turned aluminium spacers to bring the wheels out in line and then 283mm grooved discs on the front with green stuff pads, works just fine.

Andy

hawkesy226
I've been told that too, I still have the drums on the back, but with really nice turned aluminium spacers to bring the wheels out in line and then 283mm grooved discs on the front with green stuff pads, works just fine.

Andy

you've made my mind up thanks for the replies to all! staying with drums.

Baz

Another fan of drums over discs here!

Edited by Baz

mr_exe

Very true indeed. Our 1.6 with drums recorded better brake efficiency on the Mot brake rollers than the 306 with the discs. Plus the 306 rolled off down the street thanks to the crap disc handbrake, as the person who moved did'nt realise it needed to be left in gear

Rob Thomson

Yep, drums all the way.

I always used to be a fan of discs; they're easier to inspect and easier to replace, and I've always managed to handbrake round hairpins on rallies without any major issues. But the drums on my 1.6 are fantastic now they've been rebuilt. I did an autotest in it a few weeks ago and it twirled on the handbrake with wonderful ease. And on a more practical basis it's so much better parked on hills, I'm actually confident the car will still be there when I come back.