• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Alarms

jeremy

As per title really. My 205 hardly ever gets used as I have not had the funds to run two cars, so sat in a locked garage for almost 4/5 years only being used for two weeks last year. At the moment I am doing lots of property maintenance (sp) and having to use the garage for storage, so the 205 is on the drive at the moment with no security. What type/make/model of alarm should I be looking to get?

Thanks

Jeremy

kyepan

most alarms are pretty good, it's generally how they are installed that makes the difference.

you've got ones that are ultrasonic (they have the two little microphone / speakers on the front pillars inside)

and ones that use a microwave bubble ( they detect water, ie humans, which collapses a microwave field and either triggering a warning or the alarm)

i've had cliffords that were fitted badly and gave no end of issues, and ones fitted well that were perfect (both microwave), i've also had directed electronics (pattern version of clifford) that is pretty good, if a little sensitive(ultrasonic), and a toad, which was also good.

find a good fitter that works for himself, that would be my advice

M@tt

toad ai606 gets my vote, bout £100 to buy and fit yourself proabably another £100 or so to get soemone to fit it for you

Veero

A mobile chap is fitting a Thatcham 1 system to my Bongo next week for £250+ vat. Didn't sound too unreasonable to me. I imagine it would be cheaper to fit one to a 205.

dale205mills

I have a few 205's with alarms fitted and the first thing I done was take them out all I have had is problems with alarms on my 205's. In my eyes if some one wants to take a car that bad then they will take it with alarm fitted or not.

stimpysaurus

i have a clifford which was checked and said to be working properly, but it only seems to go off when you dont want it to!

if you're doing anything on the car even with it disabled it goes off which is really annoying (hilarious when it goes into the garage though!)

but if you actually try to break into the car it doesn't go off until u actually open the door! I'm not sure the criminals will stop and run away once they've got that far though :blush:

thats probably just mine though, i think it has tilt sensor and its got something stuck to the windscreen and also something under the gearstick but im not sure what those two are. (reading kyepans post i think its microwave cos it always complains when i wash the car)

platty

Ive had cliffords on a few motors in the past, and to be honest, have had nothing but trouble with them. Last one I brought was the all singing all dancing Avant Guard, which cost around a grand iirc.

Toad Ai606 gets my vote, Ive had two Toad systems in the past, and both were problem free. M@tt is bob on, around £100 to buy, or £210ish fitted and certified.

SurGie

TOAD AI606 is the best one iv ever had, i vote for TOAD anytime !!!

Edited by SurGie

CosKev

Nice to see good reports on the Toad,been looking at them myself :)

Search E-Bay for good prices,places on there sell you the alarm to DIY fit or they do them installed with CAT 1 certificate too ^_^

Best quote yet for AI606 I've had is £185 fitted at my home/work place :P

Miles

Waste of time as most can be bypassed in minutes, 95% of the 205's I;ve seen with them fitted I can have the car running in under a minute, better off removing something, Battery or main engine/electrial part.

Let's face it who takes any notice of a car Alarm

trialster
Waste of time as most can be bypassed in minutes, 95% of the 205's I;ve seen with them fitted I can have the car running in under a minute, better off removing something, Battery or main engine/electrial part.

Let's face it who takes any notice of a car Alarm

yeh, i agree.

probs best to fit an killswitch in a hard to find place. or maybe get a push start button fitted alongside the hazard warning/heated windscreen buttons?

platty

As a deterrent against the opportunist, an alarm works fine. If your car is directly targeted though, I agree, they will have the car away in a matter of minutes.

1.9er

Get one of them Disklok steering wheel locks.To get rid of it you'll need tools that make a lot of noise which will attract a lot of attention.

omega
Get one of them Disklok steering wheel locks.To get rid of it you'll need tools that make a lot of noise which will attract a lot of attention.

these are good but its as heavy as a 205!!