• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Greg205

Main Beam Popping 30amp Fuse.

Greg205

Ok, when I put my main beam on it pops the fuse, I've checked the plastic connector which plugs into the bulb, thats fine and corrosion free, I've traced the wires and they are fine too, there was quite a lot of rust on the plate which holds the bulb into the light unit. Any ideas where it could be shorting?

Cheers, Greg.

M@tt

have you got access to a multimeter?

NeilGTi85

I'm guissing it would be an earth problem.....proberbly the main earth that runs to the wing behind the battery.

You would need a multimeter to be sure though.....

M@tt

and by main beam do you mean normal (dipped) or full beam??

and which 30amp fuse? one in the shunt box attached to the slam panel/headlight surround?

Edited by M@tt

Greg205

Sorry, I meant full beam. I can get a fluke. It's popping the fuse in the glove box.

Edited by Greg205

M@tt

there isn't a 30 listed in the fuse board which fuse number is it from the left hand side? i suspect it;'ll be no.4

Greg205

Yup, it's the 4th one in.

M@tt

right its your driving lights (the ones fitted in the front valance)

unfortunaly my haynes manual wiring diagrams don't include the diagram which actually has fuse 4 listed, but the best thing to do is unplug both the driving lamps. Each lamp has a small lead and a connector on the back of it which connects into the main loom. Just unplug both of these. Then try putting your main beam on full again. Does it blow the fuse? hopefully it won't.

If it does then one of the 2 wires coming from the fuseboard to the driving lamps is touching an earth somewhere (shell body) and will need tracing.

most likely though is the fuse wont blow and one of the lamp terminals is corroded and it's short circuiting.

If the fuse hasn't blown then plug each lamp in one at a time and test the full beam again after fitting each. Hopefully one of them will cause the fuse to blow then that one's your problem. It'll be a case of taking it apart and cleaning up the circuit/contacts to see where it's shorting.

HTH

also that 4th fuse should be a 15amp one :)

Edited by M@tt

Greg205

cheers mate, I'll give it a try tomorrow, hopefully it's not snowing!! I've got a spare set of driving lights with good terminals.

Greg205

Driving lamps have been butchered in..using masking tape.. Why don't people do things properly??????