• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gwpug

Performance Hoses

gwpug

I am looking at getting a set of samco hoses for my 1.9 gti. Only probelm is i dont think the kit includes every hose and the stockists i have rung cant seem to tell me whats in the kit!!

Does anyone have this set and know what hoses are included (or not)??

timmsy19

yep i'd get BBM just based on past experience with them :rolleyes:

samco are over priced and not very helpful imo

Edited by timmsy19

Rupertfinch

Yup, great quality at a super price.

kilauea

Why not not bother?

I have BBM's and they are good quality and value and service was great. But the standard hoses are good for 80k and as they are softer seal better. I had a month of under-tightening / over tightening issues with silicon and they are just not required, unless you have some turbo plans afoot?

Mech at Skip Browns was of the same opinion when they last worked on my car.

welshpug

because after market Silicon hoses, with a few exceptions, are far far cheaper than original replacements, and that's if you can get all of them!

I priced up the hoses a few years ago when I first got my 205 and the complete engine bay's worth was near £300 from Peugeot, £180 delivered next day in red :) from Rallydesign (with the aforementioned single missing hose)

Stew at BakerBM does them for even less, and in black.

Never had an issue with over tightening or sealing issues whatsoever.

Edited by welshpug

kilauea

£190 for full set from Auto-five. I paid £10 less for silicon but wish I hadn't bothered as they offer no perceivable advantage to me.

Especially now as I have had to remove hoses and fit them back. As they are stiffer they seem to "set" into shape more, making a good re-fitment harder too. Over-tightening is easy on brittle plastic connectors, such as radiators and expansion tank (easily snapped with a twist too far on the jubilee clip). The tolerance between not tight enough and too tight is far smaller with silicon.

It just stands to sense when you think about it. You want flexible pipes carrying liquid to seal around a solid material? - use something soft.

Not saying silicon doesn't have its applications, but if your just expecting the same as standard but "bling" looking, then you should be aware that there are differences in use.

EDIT: £162 at autofive for non-pas.

Edited by kilauea

Sign in to follow this