• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mini95

Looking To Buy First 205

Mini95

Hi all

I am looking at buying my first 205 and was after a bit of advice. I am looking at Mi16s and altough I have a reasonable amount of mechanical knowledge was looking at something thats already been converted.

Ive read the couple of buying guides on this site though was wondering if there is anything I should specifically be looking for with regards to Mi16 conversions?

Ive seen this 205 on Pistonheads: http://pistonheads.com/sales/819565.htm

Does anyone know anything about this car? As its a 92, I presume it has/should have a CAT? Is this going to make much of a difference? What else should I look out for on the car?

djinuk

looks sweet man, however pretty pricey, to be honest as of late mi16s have been going to cheap due to the introduction of the gti6 conversions plus i think a lot of people now are after standard example with the standard 1.9 8vs

chris-stdt
looks sweet man, however pretty pricey, to be honest as of late mi16s have been going to cheap due to the introduction of the gti6 conversions plus i think a lot of people now are after standard example with the standard 1.9 8vs

Yer pretty pricey and those wheels :rolleyes: as for the cat it probobly wont have one although im not sure how you will get on with emissions come mot time

jimistdt

There is a nice car under that lot, DES are well respected I'd want to see receipts though to verify they have done the work.

cir287

the Mi16 conversion does give you a load of horses but remember they are a complete bitch to work on, that engine is shoe-horned into the engine bay. Personally I like 8valves just as much

Peetypug

dont forget the dreaded oil surge :wacko::)

so go for a gti6 converted one :D

hexhamstu
the Mi16 conversion does give you a load of horses but remember they are a complete bitch to work on, that engine is shoe-horned into the engine bay. Personally I like 8valves just as much

thats just plain not true. the engine isnt shoe horned anywhere, it fits fine. the bottom end is the same size and the head isnt that much bigger.

omega

looks nice not keen on a few of the mods front end looks nice[whant to do that headlight conversion to mine when i find some second hand ones] but its a lot of cash

Greg205

I don't mean to sound like a spoil sport, but to go straight in with an MI16 as your first 205 is kinda asking for trouble, people write them off for a reason! And to be honest it's a lot of money for a car you're not even sure you'll get along with! Why not go for a decent 1.6 for a bit? (I am biased towards the 1.6 tho!)

kilauea

I'm with Greg I think. If it's your first 205 I would get an 8v (1.6 or 1.9) and learn how it handles first. Then upgrade from there. It sort of takes the fun out buying a ready modded car anyway, nothing to look forward to! :)

Greg205

Definately!! you've got to do it yourself, no fun otherwise.. Although the locking nuts on my track rod ends have cold welded..Anyone got a blow torch? :)

Mini95

Thanks for the replies! Wheels aren't exactly to my taste either!

With regards to the fun in doing the work yourself I am sure there is plenty I can find to do still!

Point taken about starting with a 1.6 though it has probably fallen of deaf ears :)

Jrod

No reason not to start with a MI imo, Just treat it with some respect.

timmsy19

^^^ agreed with that

yes they are a little bit of a death trap in some road conditions but a little respect fot it goes a long way.

i stupidly let one of my friends drive mine that was looking into buying one and he instantly said it was way to lively to start out with (but i dont think he was used to anything above a 1.4 to be honest)

jeremy

Personally I would choose a GTI based on condition first, as a lot of money can be spent to achieve this regardless of engine choice. To give you an idea I have still got my original 1.9 GTI of about 8 or so years ownership, yet drove my 1.6 GTI for at least 4 of that because it drove alot better, even though logically I should have been using the 1.9 as the 1.6 only had 26K. Only last year did I finish sorting my 1.9, however it still needs a few extra pounds spening on it!!! Also I now the proud owner of more tools and roller cabinets along with scars all over my hands.