• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr_E

205 1.8 Diesel Question

Mr_E

As title really, i have just got hold of a K reg 205 1.8 diesel with a knackered engine - I bought it to break it but its really quite straight and tidy so thinking of perhaps putting it back on the road. (its still even MOT'd until the end of july)

The question is, will the engine or engine and gearbox from an M reg Citroen ZX 1.9 diesel fit it (fairly easily).

A mate in work has got a good engine and a fecked car sat on his drive that I could also have very cheaply.

Hopefully someone out there can help.

Cheers

Paul

dirtdog

It should be pretty simple. I'm 99.9% sure they use the same mounts

jplautomotive

yeah will go in no probs , i done quite a few 405s, 309,s no probs

engine and what have you will be fine just have to have a play with the hoses mix and match

probaly be a late fuel filter on stat housing if so just ditch you 205 fuel filter and use the zx one

if it has a key pad just remove module on back of pump and fit a early stop soloniod that just needs

12v

jonny

Mr_E

Sounds good!!

Which gearbox would you use, the 205 one or will the ZX one drop straight in to save splitting it?

Will the 205 exhaust/manifold swop straight over onto the ZX engine too?

So many questions!!

Cheers

Paul

omega
Sounds good!!

Which gearbox would you use, the 205 one or will the ZX one drop straight in to save splitting it?

So many questions!!

Cheers

Paul

might be a idea to split the box and but a clutch in now,saving a lot of time /cash/hassel later

jplautomotive
Sounds good!!

So many questions!!

Cheers

Paul

i would use the zx one but as omega says put a clutch in it

manifold , may be different shape ports early engines had square ports , later ones are oval

just keep down pipe off the zx then you can make it fit

Tom Fenton

I've half an idea that the inlet manifold on a 306/ZX NA diesel engine will foul the bonnet of a 205; not 100% sure though, but something to check. They have a plastic affair that curves round over the cam cover.

jplautomotive
I've half an idea that the inlet manifold on a 306/ZX NA diesel engine will foul the bonnet of a 205; not 100% sure though, but something to check. They have a plastic affair that curves round over the cam cover.

dont think it will , i put a 405 1.9 turbo in a 309 with top mounted intercooler was fine . they are same height as

the plasstic bit on the N/A ones . is the any more space under a 309 than a 205 bonnet though ?

jonny

Mr_E

We have put the ZX engine and gearbox in the 205 now, only a few minor differences on a few of the sensor connectors etc that we have swopped, havnt put the bonnet back on yet but it does look like it will foul so we will swop the inlet manifolds over.

The ZX gearbox is slightly different where the gear linkages connect on so just had to swop over the pivot arm on the top of the box.

There is a connector that goes to the base of the 205 fuel filter housing thats not on the ZX housing - anyone know what that one is for? and can the fuel filter housings be swopped over easily?

Hopefully will have it all finished off on friday and see about getting it taxed and back on the road!

Cheers

Paul

jplautomotive

the plug is the water in diesel light , i wouldnt bother with it

Edited by jplautomotive

Mr_E
the plug is the water in diesel light , i wouldnt bother with it

Thoughts thats what it was, but was wasnt sure.

Will be hopefully finishing it off on friday morning.

Mr_E

Its in and its all running sweet...............but we have screwed up with the gearbox!

It wont go into 5th or reverse.

We have used the box from the ZX, as it was a lower mileage one but had to change the gear linkage arm on the top of the box as they were different. The rod that the arm goes onto (held on with roll pins) did drop into the box a bit so im assuming that this is where the problem is.

The question is - can this be fixed whilst in the car and how do you fix it, or is it a box out job?

(if its a box out job, i will just put the original 205 box back in it)

Hopefully someone can help

Cheers

Paul