• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Rear Knocking Noise

stimpysaurus

my car has made a knocking noise ever since i got it but recently it seems to be getting worse. It does it when i go over bumps and sounds like something hitting the underneath of the car, at first i thought it was the spare wheel cage not tightened enough but it seems pretty tight.

A friend sugested worn bump stops, can anybody think of anything else it could be or any way of diagnosing it?

i had a look underneath and couldnt see anything obvious but then again i dont no what im looking for!

CosKev

Could be anything that moves when the rear suspension is working :unsure:

Easiest thing to do is check all securing bolts on shock absorbers etc are tight :D

Then check the condition of the shock absorbers.

Bump stops do not really wear out,they are just a lump of rubber that are bolted to the cars chassis that stop the suspension hitting the cars body if the suspension goes to full travel :D

stimpysaurus
Bump stops do not really wear out,they are just a lump of rubber that are bolted to the cars chassis that stop the suspension hitting the cars body if the suspension goes to full travel :D

yeah i noticed some little rubber rectangular things, they looked the same on both sides so im guessing it mustn't be that. i'll have to have a proper look when i get the chance, hopefully something is just a bit loose.

i was planning on putting it up for sale, just wondering if i should do it sooner rather than later :unsure:

my last car broke just before it went up for sale so im hoping its not some sort of curse!

meggy6620

Could be anything from the exhaust knocking to very worn beam.

Easy way to chek beam is jack up the rear end leave the wheels on, grab the wheel top and botom/ left and righ and try move it up and down/side to side if it moves they usually give a dull kock.

If it move get some one to av a look to sea whats moving E.G. wheel hub or swing arm.

Swing Arm = Damaged bearings in beam or lose Pivot tube in beam = rebuild or beam (£350-500)

Wheel hub = Fkd wheel bearing = wheel bearing (£35-£40)

Or if all els fails get agresive with a coald exhaust and sea if it hits any where.

Good look.

steve

stimpysaurus

thanks for that, I will go crying to my dad to lend me a jack this weekend (and then sneakly ask if he'll do it) :D

i was hoping the worn rear beam wouldn't come up, and its definitly gonna have to be sold if it looks like that might be the problem. would it really be that awful not to mention it in an ad?

i shall look on the positive side until i have a good check of it, but i'll also look for new cars too :unsure:

meggy6620

LOL good look mate fingers crossed :lol:

jimistdt
my last car broke just before it went up for sale so im hoping its not some sort of curse!

They know, you know :lol:

welshpug

in my experience beams don't cause knocking, but the beam mounting bushes can, as can worn damper bushes, rear silencers and spare wheel cages....

chris-stdt

My last 306 did the exact same thing and it was as welshpug says the rear beam mounts which isnt a major job and i think the mounts were about £10-£15 each from tms

meggy6620

Sorry my bad i use solid mounts so i here/feel everything. :)

cir287

my money is on the exhaust

could be that one of the rubber hangers has snapped and its now hanging to one side and knocking off the body.

is the rear pipe dead centre of the bumper/trim recess as before, even if it is just grab the tailpipe and shake side to side, can you hear the knock ?

If that doesnt show anything up then get the jack and have a look under ( ...... and please use axle stands if you are crawling under )

if it is a rubber hanger it'll only cost a few quid to replace.