• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

Rear Fog Problem

platty

Ok, the MOT is up on the oil burner, and just about everything is ok apart from the rear fog. Now, it used to have a tow bar fitted which I removed when we first bought it. Not sure if it worked before, but I imagine the problem is behind the NS Rear cluster where they spliced into the loom.

I was having a poke about and removed the switch to check for voltage which was fine. I then went to link out the switch and blew a fuse as I managed to link to the earth instead of the live(it was dark!). Anyone know where the fuse is for it, I've checked the ones under the dash, and all are fine.

Anthony

It's usually just the bulb holder or contacts on the connector behind the lamp are corroded in my experience when the rear fog doesn't work.

platty

Good advice, will go and check whilst the sun is out.

Sandy

Agreed, new terminals usually sorts it.

Grim.Badger

Fuse for the fog is under the dash, fuse 1 or 2 I think. While you are at it take the lamp holder out and soak the terminals in vinegar and then give them a brush with a toothbrush to remove any corrosion :lol:

Super Josh

Put some silicone or copper grease on the terminals to stop them corroding again :lol:

Josh

platty

Well a strange one this. No fuse had blown, lamp was fine, continuity of the live was fine, and the earth. Switch was making contact....put it all back together pushed the button in and it works. Very strange as Sunday afternoon it was giving me the finger no matter what I tried. Glad its working, can only think I have disturbed something when I was re-testing.

Thanks for the replies all.

Anthony

Ah, the mystical self-repairing electrics, guaranteed to work perfectly without a glitch until about 2 minutes before the MOT when it'll fail again and refused to be coaxed back to life... :rolleyes: