• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Brake Light Wire ?

lemmingzappa

I just bought a universal high level brake light, which obviously comes with unhelpful universal instructions :D

From the diagram I can tell it is asking me to mount one wire as an earth, and another wire into the brake light wire. But when I check the wiring loom behind my left rear brake light there are tonnes of cables. Which one do I need to splice into ? and is there an easier way of getting to the required wire other than through the side walls of the boot.

Thanks.

welshpug

the one that goes to the brake light bulb...

aka wire 36, the earth is the wire marked as M64, as shown in the Haynes manual :D

you could undo the single 10mm nut and pull the light cluster off, that'll give you access to the wires a bit easier.

lemmingzappa

Thanks but unfortunately I dont have a Haynes Manual yet, ive removed the light cluster to take a better look:

img003or0.jpg

There are 4 sets of wires on the rear, and I have no idea which one I need to use. If anyone could tell me which colour on which set of wires that would be great.

Thanks.

welshpug

pull back the black plastic and check for the numbers I posted.

lemmingzappa

I can see where the numbers are printed on the wires, but I cant find "wire 36".

The ink is really hard to read

Edited by lemmingzappa

lemmingzappa

No worries, I fitted the brake light in the end.

The brake light cable was actually green and marked "36 A"

Edited by lemmingzappa

pete1986

Out of curiosity, have you fitted it at the top or the bottom of the rear window?

I have been toying with the idea of doing this, esspecially after seeing so many threads about being rear-ended. I just dont want it to look naff, instead try and achieve an almost factory looking 3rd brake light.

Any pics of yours?

lemmingzappa
Out of curiosity, have you fitted it at the top or the bottom of the rear window?

I have been toying with the idea of doing this, esspecially after seeing so many threads about being rear-ended. I just dont want it to look naff, instead try and achieve an almost factory looking 3rd brake light.

Any pics of yours?

I have fitted it at the top of the rear window, and all the wiring was hidden under the hard plastic that runs around the boot edge next to the seal.

It looks pretty tidy imo, I can try and get some pics tommorow when it's lighter if you want ?

this is the light that I fitted, it matches the car styling as I think it was actually very old stock from the 90's !

3f961qk9.jpg

(the border on the light unit isnt actually red, that is just the self-adhesive cover)

Edited by lemmingzappa

Mikey S

theres a couple of those on ebay now. i was going to suggest one from maybe a rover 400 or 600 as there the same sort of design as those vauxhall ones.

edit:

i reckon an led one would be better though. the reaction time of the leds are much faster than a bulb.

Edited by pugger