• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

Front Suspension Ball Joint.

mainline

Hey, yep, me again!

My car failed its MOT on ball joints some months ago. I replaced both wishbones with brand new items, but the MOT man has failed me on excessive play in one ball joint (near side). How can I check / adjust the ball joint as I was a bit surprised by this since it is a brand new part.

Cheers

Ian

Anthony

More likely that the hub itself is ovalled or the pinch bolt is loose.

jimistdt
Hey, yep, me again!

My car failed its MOT on ball joints some months ago. I replaced both wishbones with brand new items, but the MOT man has failed me on excessive play in one ball joint (near side). How can I check / adjust the ball joint as I was a bit surprised by this since it is a brand new part.

Cheers

Ian

With the car in the air check for play in the wheel whilst watching where the pin goes into the hub, can be tricky on your own. Or get a lever bar about 18"-2' and lever down on the wishbone see it it comes apart.

Some months ago, would've been 12 months ago wouldn't it?

Genuine Pug ones last longer from what I've heard.

Toddy
Hey, yep, me again!

Cheers

Ian

Sounds like your hubs are ovalled tbh

Are you using a bolt or a setscrew to clamp the hub, you really want a bolt which has a shank length long enough to clear the ball joint, to avoid fatigue to the threads which can lead to excessive play, or the nut could have simply worn loose enabling play which has worn the hub.

mainline

Thanks for the help, I'll have a go at adjusting the pinch bolt and carry out those checks on the hub. It may well have ovalled, hopefully not.

It won't be the ball joint itself as it has only done about 500 miles on that one.

DrSarty

Getting rid of my one 'ovalled' (or enlarged really) hub, was the biggest transformation my car has ever experienced.

I tried changing everything until eventually I did this, and apart from getting through your MoT, your confidence in the car's handling and its precise steering will bring you so many rewards, you'll wish you'd have done it much earlier.

Get a good hub; it'll be an hour's work each side I reckon. Go for it!

mainline
Getting rid of my one 'ovalled' (or enlarged really) hub, was the biggest transformation my car has ever experienced.

I tried changing everything until eventually I did this, and apart from getting through your MoT, your confidence in the car's handling and its precise steering will bring you so many rewards, you'll wish you'd have done it much earlier.

Get a good hub; it'll be an hour's work each side I reckon. Go for it!

Might well do that :D Thanks for the encouragement mate!