• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris-stdt

Front Cross Member Rotten?

chris-stdt

Hi ,im going to look at a 309 sorry :ph34r: at the weekend it has no tax ot test so i planned on towing it back with a straight bar but the boy says the front towing eye is loose and would not recommend towing

It sounds like the front cross member is rotten ,how likley is this and if so how bad is it to put right?

Thanks Chris

jimistdt

Trailers got to be your best bet?

Sounds like its had some front end action. Towing eyes shouldn't become 'loose' :ph34r:

welshpug

its common for the front towing eyes to become detached, especially on the 309, pretty straightforward to repaitr if you can weld, and you can quite likely get repair sections.

the only worry being is that what other rot does it hide?

chris-stdt

Ive got a trailer but i broke the towbar on the 406 the other day :ph34r:

Thats what i thought welshpug what do you think the worst case could be with the rust and by the way the car is cheap

pete1986

Buy my 309 instead!! :lol::ph34r:

pete1986

309's are known for rotting ALOT worse than 205's. Main area is in the boot, due to faulty boot seals when they left the factory.

Buy my 309 instead! No rot at all :lol::ph34r:

chris-stdt
309's are known for rotting ALOT worse than 205's. Main area is in the boot, due to faulty boot seals when they left the factory.

Buy my 309 instead! No rot at all :lol: :lol:

Sussex is a bit far for me and besides i want a project to keep me busy in the summer :ph34r:

pete1986

Sorry for the shameless plug. :ph34r:

Why not have a good check over the car for any other rot it may be hiding? Remove headlights, boot carpet, rear seats, etc. I read that the top of the struts is another place 309's like to rust.

Edited by pete1986

chris-stdt

Thanks for the advice pete ,im told the car i relitvley rust free apart from the towing eye being loose which could be down to rough treatment rather than rust ,i suppose im going to have to go and have a look myself