• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy F

[trackday_prep] Andy F's 1.9 Gti Track Car Build With Mi Conversio

Andy F

Hi everyone

I bought a 205 around a year now having always llike them when i was younger. Progress has been fairly slow but am starting to get somewhere.

So thought i would post some pictures of the progress so far and updates as hopefully i aim to finish the car for the summer.

Its all started off with a H plate Sorrento green 1.9 GTI Ebay purchase for the measely sum of £300.

-008.jpg

The shell was in pretty good condition some laquer peel and some rot on the bottom of the rear quarter

04102008271.jpg

The car drove ok considering its nearly 200k mileage. Although the old boy who own had maintained it and recorded everything that had been done. Not that i was massively worried and there wouldnt be much of the original parts i would be keeping.

02022009400.jpg

So i set off stripping the car down at this time not really knowing what i wanted to do with the car except to getting her looking good again.

-0092.jpg

07072008090.jpg

Evently got the the point where the engine was ready to come out.

13072008111.jpg

25082008210.jpg

Andy F

Next was to get on with the interior at this point i was becoming more interested in the MI conversion and possibility of building a track car as opposed to a straight rebuild.

23072008121.jpg

Went along labelling everything as i went along to try avoid chaos with the loom later as would have to strip loads of it off

23072008124.jpg

25082008202.jpg

Evently got to the point where the dash, loom etc were out

25082008209.jpg

Next was to clean up all the sound deadening and dead bits of carpet, what a pleasant job

04102008276.jpg

04102008277.jpg

I then set about stripping out the aftermarket sunroof, not knowing if any of it was salvagable as it didnt really work

09092008252.jpg

After closer inspection and some inverstigation on here i decided there was little point in messing around with it. So off i went to peugeot and got a new roof skin, £150 which i didnt think was so bad

04102008278.jpg

Andy F

Now was to try and look into an engine and find a suitable donor. Having had a few turbo in the past and having spent weeks faffing around on the roller trying to get the management right. I decided i was going to go plain and simple and run some weber 45's. So i set out to find an MI alloy engine to strip, rebuild and upgrade.

I came up with this one courtesy of Baz

02112008306.jpg

02112008305.jpg

I set out at stripping it down not knowing what wonders i was in store of. First look under the rocker didnt look to bad obviously been sitting a while.

02112008309.jpg

Head came apart ok and everything seemed it pretty good knick.

09112008324.jpg

Started stripping the bottom end, Crank had some minor score but nothing to worry about, liners had significant scoring.

09112008327.jpg

09112008328-1.jpg

09112008329.jpg

09112008331.jpg

After looking at the block, its looked very corroded and after speaking to the helpful people on this forum decided to scrap it to be on the safe side and find one in a better condition.

17112008336.jpg

Andy F

Some time had past and i was pondering on what to do with the car, after a visit to 3dmotorsport to pick up a refurbed 1.9 gearbox i fell in love with the custom cages, 205 cage so popped one on order.

02022009407.jpg

DSCF1277.jpg

Since i had been impressed by the work that 3d had done on a few other shells i started talking to them about the work required on my shell. A few weeks later i sent it off with it look as below. Should be back in a few weeks.

The work includes:

Fitting cage

Fitting seat rails for buckets

Adjusting tunnel to move driver away from cage

Welding up various un-needed holes

Seam Welding

Strenghtening plates on strut top and pedal box

Respray engine bay, shell, arches and interior.

30012009395.jpg

30012009396.jpg

Andy F

With the car off to have the shell sorted i thought i better start getting all the bits together to build the engine.

started by getting a GTI-6 sump and ordering all peter T oil surge prevention parts

30012009398.jpg

Got in touch with miles who was most helpful and supplied me with loads of parts and provided me with a new block and machined the head ready for rebuild.

02022009403.jpg

02022009404.jpg

02022009405.jpg

02022009406.jpg

02022009409.jpg

Also started buying some performance bits, starting with some Wossner High com pistons and Steel H section Rods

02022009408.jpg

02022009402.jpg

Have also purchased a few other parts ready for the return of the shell.

309 rear beam rebuilt by Jord

Gaz Coilovers from the group buy

Miles full exhaust forthe MI conversion

Shortened radiator from BakerBM

Uprated Bushes from Baker

Coolant and Oil silicone hoses

106 PAS pump

weber 45's

Longman inlet manifold

Peter t's billet inlet stage 2 cam and stage 1 exhuast.

Xsara Vts front brake

1.0 servo with 406 master cylinder.

Will update everyone as the project progress's

Edited by Andy F

djinuk

wow, you have the same sunroof as mine, again mine does not work, and the runners are snapped, i was just going to plate mine up however.

Andy F

yeah was some britax rubish

the rods had not snapped but the spring type thing was all full of crap and you had to be arnie to turn the bloody thing

Andy F

Just thought i would add a quick update.

I began by cleaning a few bits up with the wire wheel and then give them a spray with some engine paint

07022009419.jpg

07022009421.jpg

Next i brushed and cleaned up the block

09022009424.jpg

09022009425.jpg

Followed by a spray up

10022009428.jpg

10022009427.jpg

Now i thought it was about time i would start work on rebuilding the engine. I set off by trying to fit the pistons to the rods although the pins are so tight havent been able to do this so far. It would seem the hole in the top of the rod is to small as the pins fit in the OE rods fine. Feel a little drive to Braintree coming on :) Start as you mean to go on :blush:

12022009435.jpg

12022009436.jpg

edbar

Looking great, should be a real flyer! :lol::wacko:

Andy F

well had a response back from the company who sold me the pistons and rods.

Ther answer is that they make the hole in the top of the rod small as each manufacturer uses a different size pin. They have said i can "hone" it out using some fine wet and dry.

I guess ill give it a go

Henry 1.9GTi

id ask for hole size and tolerance, get the same for the pin and see whats what. Seems a bit bodge to 'hone' it out by hand. Perhaps dip the pin in liquid nitrogen before hammering it in if you can hold of any :lol:

Andy F

yeah i have been thinking this to, i think ill take them to my machine shop and see what they say maybe they can mill it out to get it even.

Andy F

well after a trip to my machine shop the rods were milled out in about 5 mins and fit alot better now so finally got the pistons on the rods

19022009443.jpg

Ive have started putting a few sensor etc back on the block

19022009447.jpg

First silly question is the oil sensor that goes down the rear of the block should it have the two pins at the end exposed as it looks as if the plastic end has been snapped somehow. Do anyone think i need to replace it???

19022009446.jpg

The next silly question is about the piston rings as there is 5 rings in the pack so im slightly confused and since there is no instructions on what order they should go i was hoping someone could help. There are 2 thick ones, 2 thin ones and the brass crimpled type one

19022009444.jpg

Thanks for the help

axnutty

AFAIK The 2 thin ones sandwich the crimpled one to make up the oil control ring wich sits in the lowest grove of the cylinder head.

As for the other 2 rings if you look at them in profile I think you should see that one has a shamfered edge, this dictates which way up it goes but also which groove in the piston it sits in. (top or middle) but I cant remeber which one. Are you sure there is no crude diagram on the box they came in?

EDIT: Just did some quick google work for you & found that there is a piston ring museum! It seems to suggest that the middle ring is chamfered and the top ring should be slightly curved or flat... it may be different for the Peugeot though.

Interesting site though.

link

Edited by axnutty

Andy F

ok thanks for that ill have a look.

The pistons didnt come with any info, just some crappy stickers saying powered by Wossner Pistons which every self respecting person would be mad to put on there car

Looking at the standard MI pistons the chamfered one goes in the middle and the square edged one go at the top so i guess these will be similar

Mattsav

Check the width of the big end on the rod.

As std the Mi16 rod is located by the piston (which yours aren't). Not a problem as long as the big end is wider than the std rod.

Miles

Remove that sensor as it's the oil level one, A gearbox drain plug does the job fine.

Andy F

erm :ph34r:

at the risk of sounding stupid.

Why do i not need the sensor for the oil level? I know ill be checking regularly but surely the sensor is a good idea?

Matt

Im not sure what you mean, do you mean that as the rod can move along the gudgeon pin the big end needs to be bigger so it cant move along the crank? or am i missing the point?

Thanks

GLPoomobile
Why do i not need the sensor for the oil level? I know ill be checking regularly but surely the sensor is a good idea?

It is a good idea if you have something to plug it into to take a reading. Do you have an oil level gauge?

Andy F

ah i get ya take it that the 8v didnt have one of these sensor before.

Well i dont have a gauge but could fit one as i have alot of space in the dash now due to not having a heater. Is this a sensor ie gives a level or is it and switch ie puts a light on when low?

cybernck

on a 405 (and other cars), it's built into the oil temp gauge, there's a secondary scale

that lights up when you turn the key to first ignition and the needle shows the oil level.

it goes off and back to oil temp gauge a few secs after starting the car (or instantly).

Andy F

i guess that makes sense as if it was permanently on oil level it would be going up and down as you brake and turn

Andy F

well, its been a while since i updated where i am with the car to be honest i have not spent a massive amount of time on the car due to usual summer rush at work.

I got round to getting the pistons in the liners, fitting them in the block and doing a water test with the clamp only hand tight, no issues to report seals must be doing their job

05032009455.jpg

19042009488.jpg

spent some time putting the head back together, mangled one of valve stem seals, so off to buy a new one :lol:

11042009477.jpg

Andy F

The shell has been the main area of work, basically as i wasnt doing the most of work on it.

seat rails have been fitted, tunnel has been modified to move the seats away from the cage. Shell seamed welded, Custom cages, cage fitted, various un-needed bits welded up, Suspension tops fitted, Sump guard mounts fitted, resprayed in white.

28032009465.jpg

28032009466.jpg

28032009468.jpg