• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PhilNW

Uprated Alternators

PhilNW

Does anyone know what's available to upgrade the standard alternator on a gti, afraid the standard one won't be up to the increased power for upgraded headlamps and spots on road rally gti

can i get once from a different model of peugeot or is there a standard replacment

large

I run a std 90A on a road rally car with no problems.

PhilNW
I run a std 90A on a road rally car with no problems.

Is the standard a 90 amp?

large

Not 100% on this i think the 1.6 had a 70A as std and the 1.9 had a 90A.

Liquid_106

Doesn't a diesel alternator have a bigger output - totally different subject , but I know they're used on 'larger' ICE installs to keep up with the demand.

rapidcossie

can anyone confirm what Large says?

I think mines might be a 1.6 one as its struggling with the extar fuel pump and power steering pump.

Super Josh
Not 100% on this i think the 1.6 had a 70A as std and the 1.9 had a 90A.

No, it's 50A 1.6 and 70A 1.9.

I *think* the Mi16 might be slightly larger, but not by much. If you can get the right mount to run an XU10 style alternator, they are available in 150A guise, which is waht I'm running.

Josh

rapidcossie

defo something worth looking at.

SPGTi

I run the std 1.9gti alternator on my road rally car without any problems. I also have XU10 (Gti6) alternator for sale.

Steve

large
No, it's 50A 1.6 and 70A 1.9.

I sould f*cking know that by now :)

sorry.

rapidcossie

My saxo electric PAS pump seems to take more than my alternator can give when on full lock.

It blows fuses and i can hear my fuel pump starting and stopping.

hopefully an uprated alternator will help.

PhilNW

i just bought a replacement alternator from partco - will have to check what the amps are,

servicebox is quoting a 50 amp and a 70 amp, presumably the 70 amp was to cope with electric windows etc

looks like I need the 70 amp version for the lights

Miles

Recon one can be anything from 40amp I;ve seen, If your lucky you'll get a 70amp one but as said you can use some XU10 one's which are a good 90amps upwards, BE careful thou as not all fit like the GTi6 one doesn;t

omega
Doesn't a diesel alternator have a bigger output - totally different subject , but I know they're used on 'larger' ICE installs to keep up with the demand.

anybody no ?

brumster

The old PTS Group A alternator was rated to 100A. I believe it is some sort of modified Mitsubishi alternator but what model/etc I'm afraid I don't know. Next time I rip mine out I'll take a good look-see for any part numbers/etc.

PhilNW
Recon one can be anything from 40amp I;ve seen, If your lucky you'll get a 70amp one but as said you can use some XU10 one's which are a good 90amps upwards, BE careful thou as not all fit like the GTi6 one doesn;t

how do you recognise what the amps are from the outside?

philfingers

I run a std 1900 one on mine and 2 x 130w mains and 2 x 100w spots. It's never given any trouble. I do however have a electric PAS now, so watch this space! It's not on the road yet

Edited by philfingers

mickie
anybody no ?

i cant remember for sure but i think he's right.. have a look around some 405 diesels

Alteran

Thats odd, my 1.6 Gti has a 70amp alternator? I also have a 205 DTurbo and the alternator on that is only a 55amp.

PhilNW

With everything on - headlamps full and spots on what voltage should I be getting on say the battery, just to check if the alternator is coping

philfingers

with everything on if you're not seeing over 13v then you have a problem. Heated screen draws a lot as does heater motor and fans etc. In reality you're not likely to have all the spots on and the fans as well tho

PhilNW

Checked voltages

no load engine running at 1500 rpm - 14.6 v

all lights on at 1500 rpm - 14.3 v

looks like alternator up to it