• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rom

Helicoil Question

Rom

Ever since i bought my Mi engine, one of the cam cover bolt threads had been 'repaired' ;)

Its been retapped from 6mm 1.0 to 8mm 1.25. It had a bit of threaded rod in, with a nut underneath the head. And another nut on after the cam cover goes on.

Ive got everything out of the car for the respray, and want to fix this, so i can use a proper bolt in it.

As far as i know from prvious use, helicoils need to be tapped with the proper thread for them, and dont seem to go from 6 to 8.

Ive has a search around, but not managed to find any helicoil etc that would do what i want ?

What other options do i have, short of welding and starting all over.

Chris

Mad Professor

I know meny pepole that have used Helicoil's before in the past, but me myself I don't like them.

I used something called Time-Sert

image003.gif

image003.jpg

YouTube Clip:

It's not a cheap kit, but it's saved me alot of hassle in the past.

Rom

It seems no insert can go from 8mm to 6mm.

After speaking to local engineering place, it all made sense !

They will drill into the 8mm bolt, tap a 6mm thread. Then just loctite the 8mm in, and were good.

Maybe not the best solution. But beats having the head welded.

Chris

Guest bigface

Helicoils are actually a lot strong than a standard thread because they are made out off stainless steel. Ive work in engineering for 8 year and never had a proble with them as long as they are fitted properly. when ive had problems like yours in the past the best thing to do is make a alloy bush that is an M8 thread on the outside with a M6 in the inside then locktight it in.