• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTuhkanen

Which Camshaft Upgrade For TU24

Guest JTuhkanen

Hi, the original camshaft in my TU24 is showing signs of wear and I´m thinking about replacing it. Catcams products have crossed my mind but what can be fitted into a stock TU24 without (or little) modification? How does the stock camshaft compare to aftermarket products? I´ve heard the stock has 270° duration and 10.8 valve lift? All information would be appreciated.

jonnygoodhand
Hi, the original camshaft in my TU24 is showing signs of wear and I´m thinking about replacing it. Catcams products have crossed my mind but what can be fitted into a stock TU24 without (or little) modification? How does the stock camshaft compare to aftermarket products? I´ve heard the stock has 270° duration and 10.8 valve lift? All information would be appreciated.

There was a TU24 cam for sale on here the other day: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...298&hl=tu24

christopher

The TU24 cam has a lift of 10.8mm max lift and 2.2mm lift@TDC. I have measured this. Duration is always argueable.

According to catcams their grinds are based on the TU24 cam. anyway At least that is what I told me when I spoke to them last.

If you want a catcam for a standard TU24 engine then there is only one real choice from their standard catalogue. This is 4901133. I heard about someone using this in a basically standard TU24 and was very happy with the results.

If you go any milder with catcam you are probably getting something milder then the original cam. If you go higher in spec (from catcams catalogue you risk piston to valve contact or a very low clearance at least so you will probably have to do a dry build to be sure. The compressoion is probably a bit too anyway to get the best out that cam too.

I am using 1320321 which is not in the catalogue anymore but is almost identical to 4901133. It has in fact less lift then the standard TU24 cam ;) (but then max inlet flow is achieved at 10mm lift). It is however very agressive accerelation and a lot of overlap. The pick up at 3000 rpm is hard and it peaks at 6800 rpm just short of the limiter. Never fails to leave a smile on may face every morning.

Hope that helps :wacko:

Edited by christopher

Guest JTuhkanen
I am using 1320321 which is not in the catalogue anymore but is almost identical to 4901133. It has in fact less lift then the standard TU24 cam :) (but then max inlet flow is achieved at 10mm lift). It is however very agressive accerelation and a lot of overlap. The pick up at 3000 rpm is hard and it peaks at 6800 rpm just short of the limiter. Never fails to leave a smile on may face every morning.

Did you have any problems with emission regulations? I don´t know what kind of roadworthiness tests (MOT) are done in Denmark but with todays EU-regulations there shouldn´t be big differences between countries, right? :)

Thanks for the help guys! ^_^

christopher
Did you have any problems with emission regulations? I don´t know what kind of roadworthiness tests (MOT) are done in Denmark but with todays EU-regulations there shouldn´t be big differences between countries, right? :)

Thanks for the help guys! :D

My Rallye is from 1988 so it does not have a catalytic converter (don't laugh some of the last ones had them!!). Basically in Denmark the CO% at idle needs to be max 3.5%.

The overlap is not that good for this. As mentioned there is quite a lot of overlap which is probably not great for emissions. In any case mine was originally set up by carb genius in Denmark. I rebuilt the carbs and he set them up first time. I am running a bigger idle jet too. It helps if your carbs are in good form.

In any case you can can get below this without problems if you have a CO meter. But you can gain a few extra horses and have it run a little smoother running it a tiny bit richer. I basically turn mine down for the MOT and then back up again.