• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeHunt79

Anyone Got Have Metal Numberplates?

MikeHunt79

After rolling for ages with a cracked plastic plate, I'm tempted to order some nice metal ones from here: http://www.dubmeister.co.uk

They claim the plates are UK legal, and with any luck should be a little fragile brittle than plastic plates.

Now, does anyone know what size they are, as it would be nice if the front one fitted into the recess into the bumper. On the ordering page there is a "short plate" option... but this may be where the plate is split into 2 lines Evo8 style.

If not, I wonder if I could order one with the GB on the side and then just chop the UK off with a pair of snips! <_<

Also, while on the subject of number plates, does anyone know where to get some megasticky double sided sticky tape to hold the plate on and I'd rather not use screws...

Edited by MikeHunt79

welshpug

I had a quick look, all you need to do is order a 420mm plate with no flag, a full UK reg will fit on there and within the recess of a 205 bumper (just checked and the recess is 470mm, explains why the standard 520mm doesn't fit!)

most motorfactors sell sticky pads which you could apply a strip of them across the top edge.

Edited by welshpug

MikeHunt79
I had a quick look, all you need to do is order a 420mm plate with no flag, a full UK reg will fit on there and within the recess of a 205 bumper (just checked and the recess is 470mm, explains why the standard 520mm doesn't fit!)

most motorfactors sell sticky pads which you could apply a strip of them across the top edge.

Thanks! :lol: I'll go for the 420mm plate I think, as I think it suits the 205 era more. B)

Guest Jamie1986

Just to add i've had a pressed plate on mine since I bought it and never had an issue from the boys in blue even when i've been pulled over by them.

gti-hysteria

iv got pressed metal french style plates and iv been ok too, but my friend had german style plates on his polo and was threatend to have his car Q plated!!

my plate is too big for my front resess tho :lol:

cybernck

i wouldn't attach it with anything else than a couple of rivets!

p.s. our numberplates are only available as metal ones :lol:.

Rom

I thought about a set of these a while ago. Never took the plung though.

Id imagine youll be ok most of the time. There not exactly boy racer looking, easily legible etc.

I wouldnt want to stick them, as im sure they would bend if you ever needed to fit normal plates for the fuzz etc. Be a shame to drill them though

iamjackiechan

my mate has a german set on his vw and has been pulled over twice for them each time having to get a form signed by a mechanic to show at the police station that the plates have been changed.

more hassel than its worth IMO

cRaig

I have french style pressed plates, and havent had any trouble from the police in nearly 5 months. I think its a subtle mod that just sets off the age of the 205 ;)

dscf2201tz7.th.jpg

Would be nice if it fitted in the recess though!

dscn1275kb7.th.jpg

kb_205

i have a set of uk pressed metal plates from dubmeister,

they are great quality and to make them fit at the front all i did was cut

a plastic number plate to the recess screw it on, then used some strong

double sided tape to stick the metal one over the top,

looks perfect!!!

also because of the UK font i have never been pulled over for them, even when

pulled over for something else they were never picked out!

;)

DRTDVL

we are only allowed metal plates in nz..

You guys are damm lucky you can run any plate you want.

In nz we have to buy all plates from one supplier!

If you want a personallized plate you will pay $800 NZD (281 pounds) for a standard plate... and if you want a euro style plate it's an extra $400 (140 pounds) on top of that. Even if we just want our standard issue plate in euro style it's still $400 nzd!!!!!!

people here are ordering them from germanplates.com but the police have started to crack down on it - issue upto $500nzd fines...

cybernck

that's not too bad - we can't even get custom or personalised plates at all :ph34r:.