• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yanto

Jerky Drive

yanto

Hi all, gettin use to forum and its well informed ppl just another quick question for you-

im gettin a really jerky ride in my 1.9 gti always seems to want to go- could it be the airflow meter needs cleaning?

What do you use to clean it with and are there anythin you need to avoid?

Any other tips to get her running sweetly?

Ps wheres the best place to get an standard exhaust from?(center section)

Cheers J

j_turnell

Like most, just needs a good service and the various air pipes and throttle body cleaning out. Then get it on a gas analyser and see what the CO and HC are doing. It may also be partly down to you getting used to the car as they do take a while to learn to drive, the old skool management doesnt help in that respect.

If its not been serviced recently then id change: plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm, oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter. Remove all the air pipes and check for any splits and clean all the grime out of them along with the throttle body. If your handy with a spanner also worth looking at the cambelt, tensioner and waterpump.

cheers, James

number2301
Ps wheres the best place to get an standard exhaust from?(center section)

Cheers J

Places like GSF can usually get Arvin stuff which is supposed to be good, never used them myself though.

slobberingant

You could also check the engine mounts as they may be worn. This can lead to the engine moving back and forth in the engine bay under acceleration or braking and making your ride feel 'jerky'.

yanto
Like most, just needs a good service and the various air pipes and throttle body cleaning out. Then get it on a gas analyser and see what the CO and HC are doing. It may also be partly down to you getting used to the car as they do take a while to learn to drive, the old skool management doesnt help in that respect.

If its not been serviced recently then id change: plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm, oil, filter, air filter, fuel filter. Remove all the air pipes and check for any splits and clean all the grime out of them along with the throttle body. If your handy with a spanner also worth looking at the cambelt, tensioner and waterpump.

cheers, James

Cheers for info james-i'll have a look to see when it was serviced.

Is the cambelt,tensioner and water pumb hard jobs to do? how would you get at the tensioner-wheel arch same as the belt?

dicky20014

I had a similar problem in my old 205gti, jerky acceleration and especially if you let off but without putting the clutch in (engine braking) it would jerk like mad! anyway, to cut a long story short, it failed mot on emissions 8% co2! :) so I got the AFM done at peugeot and it flew through after that and sorted all the jerkiness out so it might be worth borrowing / trying another to see if it helps

Rich

yanto
I had a similar problem in my old 205gti, jerky acceleration and especially if you let off but without putting the clutch in (engine braking) it would jerk like mad! anyway, to cut a long story short, it failed mot on emissions 8% co2! :) so I got the AFM done at peugeot and it flew through after that and sorted all the jerkiness out so it might be worth borrowing / trying another to see if it helps

Rich

Dont know anyone with afm so i'll just give it a good clean-But funny enough its not as bad now,only just had the car and it hasn't been used for couple of months so perhaps it just needed a good drive! ;)

If you dont mind me asking how much did peugeot charge you for that-just in case it starts playin up again?

Edited by yanto

johnsimister

IMO the best mod you can ever do to a 205 GTI is to get Superchips to modify the ECU. This gets rid of the violent overrun fuel cut-off which, as standard, reinstates the fuelling in a big fat torrent as the revs drop past 1400rpm or so, which is one cause of the typical 205 kangarooing. Too weak an idle mixture makes it even worse - the manual says 1 per cent CO but 1.5 per cent is better. The Superchips mod replaces the cut-off with a much softer, more gradual reinstatement of fuel and transforms the traffic manners. It's not 'chipping' as such because this is an analogue ECU and there's no power increase despite what the website might suggest.

I had mine done at Superchips in Buckingham but they have fitting agents. It was put on a rolling road to check the power and to set the midrange fuelling optimally, which is apparently adjustable within the ECU. 'It's been a while since we've done one of these,' they said.

John

dicky20014

might just need to 'clear its throat ' so to speak then, bottle of redex could help? IIRC it was around £80, but to be honest, it'd be cheaper to get a known good from someone off this forum for £20 or so, hope this helps

Rich

CosKev

Had mine rolling road tuned at Skip Browns today,he adjusted the throttle position sensor to stop the kangarooing :blush:

Guest latestarter2

I've just bought a 1.6gti and I have that problem!!

Plus when it ticks over its revving at 2000rpm!!! mind you when i started it from cold to take to the local garage to have the timing etc sorted there was an almight puff of blue smoke to start with which disappears when its warmed up although it still over revs.

woodsy

If it was mine i would give it service if aint been done for a while and also check breather pipes splits etc.If you have an induction kit

these tend to me jerkiness slightly more noticeable.Lastly adjust the throttle position sensor so it doesnt click when you open the throttle

.Basically the sensor cuts the fuelling below 1500rpm so when adjusted it helps stop this happening and less jerkiness.

• Confused 1

jengis
If it was mine i would give it service if aint been done for a while and also check breather pipes splits etc.If you have an induction kit

these tend to me jerkiness slightly more noticeable.Lastly adjust the throttle position sensor so it doesnt click when you open the throttle

.Basically the sensor cuts the fuelling below 1500rpm so when adjusted it helps stop this happening and less jerkiness.

Doesn't the switch cut the fueling at any revs, not just below 1500rpm? Has adjusting it that way worked for you? Seems to me that its gonna cause other problems such as poor emmisions (on MOT test) and bad ecconomy :unsure:

CosKev
Doesn't the switch cut the fueling at any revs, not just below 1500rpm? Has adjusting it that way worked for you? Seems to me that its gonna cause other problems such as poor emmisions (on MOT test) and bad ecconomy :unsure:

This is what Skip Brown did to mine yesterday when setting it up,no worries with MOT,Co was 1.5% :D

Had mine rolling road tuned at Skip Browns today,he adjusted the throttle position sensor to stop the kangarooing :D

Sign in to follow this