• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimistdt

Bodywork On A Budget Questions

kyepan
Thats what I said in my OP Tom. But, If I do the bonnet, I'll have to do the wings if I do the......and so on.

I want to preserve and protect the bonnet without spending a fortune.

duh...

simply drive everywhere in reverse, thus protecting the bonnet..

why do people always try and find the complicated solution.

jimistdt

I will flatten all the primer thats on there now, and as you have said Tom, take the mask line further back, I don't know why I did it like that, was only asking for trouble. :blush:

Can you explain to me what is the Roll back method you mentioned Tom, please.

Kyepan; By Einsteins own definition you are a genius

Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.

B)

kyepan

you are indeed a gent!!!

good luck with the respray

Edited by kyepan

jimistdt

Well it's royally f*cked, and I am too. ;)

I spent three days sanding, wetting, sanding wetting, waiting for the weather conditions to be right, and this is the fruit of my labours.

Image274.jpg

It's really matte in appearance, feels rough to the touch, and to be fair I'm at a loss why it's gone like that.

Looks like I'm wearing a car-bra :)

I'm going to leave it for a day or two then get T-cut on it, see if it makes a difference, can't see it being any worse to be honest.

So, WTF happened?

EdCherry

Did you lacquer it?

If you get it done properlly get some helicopter tape to stick over the front end, if applied properlly you wont notice it that much until your stand next to the car, takes a hell of a pounding rather than your bonnet and doesn't peel off with s*it weather!

jimistdt
Did you lacquer it?

If you get it done properlly get some helicopter tape to stick over the front end, if applied properlly you wont notice it that much until your stand next to the car, takes a hell of a pounding rather than your bonnet and doesn't peel off with s*it weather!

Yes it has lacquer on it. Does the lacquer need coating quite liberally? I gave it about 5 coats, but it doesn't seem to 'take' like the primer or metallic paint does.

EdCherry

Honestly, im no expert at spraying so couldn't say with only the odd job being done here and there. Interested in the advice your getting though as im spraying the interior soon :)

Hope you get it right next time mate!

omega
Did you lacquer it?

where do you get this helicopter tape? and how much is it?

Tom Fenton

I'm guessing you used rattle cans, unfortunately these are s*ite at best when it comes to doing any kind of area, they are passable for small patches, but for the kind of area you have done they just don't lay enough paint/lacquer volume on to build up a decent finish and shine. If you prep it all and buy the proper base coat and lacquer to go in a gun, bring it down and I'll blow it in for you.

Edited by Tom Fenton

jimistdt

Yes, I rattle canned it. Proper disappointed with it.

That's very good of you to offer, Tom, thanks alot, I can see me taking you up on that. Thanks.

EdCherry

This 'Helicopter Tape' is bought by our driver for sealing the gaps on the bodywork on the car and for making sure nothing comes off (bloody dzus clips!).

All I know its around £6 a roll and from screwfix, couldn't tell it you what its called or who makes it sorry.

omega
This 'Helicopter Tape' is bought by our driver for sealing the gaps on the bodywork on the car and for making sure nothing comes off (bloody dzus clips!).

All I know its around £6 a roll and from screwfix, couldn't tell it you what its called or who makes it sorry.

ok id never heard of it is it silver and about 3 inches wide?

EdCherry

Nah clear and probably about 3 inches. They use it on the leading edges of helicopter blades... helicopter tape :)

marksorrento205

As said leading edge tape or helicopter tape is just a clear self adhesive tape. They use it on the leading edge of the blade to stop eroision ( the tape wears out before the blade then you replace the tape, from the grit etc in the air as the blades smash into it. The stuff for the blades is quite a thick tape and tends to discolour after a while. You can get much thinner tape in all sorts of widths. I sure demon thieves used to sell a clear film for this job.