• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
taylorspug

Weird Brake Problem.

taylorspug

Hello all, basically ive been having a few brake problems recently which are steadily getting worse. When i first press the pedal it goes straight to the floor, with what feels like only one of the rear brakes tugging on ever so slightly. Pumping the pedal restores it to its normal height, but you only get one stop out of it before it returns to going straight to the floor and I have to start the whole pumping process again.

My initial thoughts were extreme pad knockoff due to having a slight bit of play in one of my (new) front wheel bearings. But now this is fixed the problem remains. What i have noticed though is it does it even with the car standing still; Press brake pedal- nothing, pump brake pedal- pedal comes up, leave for two seconds- pedal is on the floor again.

Im starting to think its the master cylinder even though its only a few years old. Any thoughts?

Just for reference car has Compbrake 4 pots, 405mi master cylinder, braided lines, std rears with std 1.9 compensators. Im not losing any brake fluid from the system either.

philfingers

Sounds to be like my 309 symptoms, that was m/c. Tiny rust spot. problem is it was during a rally I discovered it. Sometimes was fine for a few miles, so just when you thought it was ok again we'd come blatting into a control, hit the brakes and the only thing that happened was the pedal hitting the floor and few 'words'. New m/c solved it. This issue can be particularly relevant with cars that aren't in regular use.

Phil

Alastairh

Agreed with Phil. Had similar issues on my brothers old 205 S16.

Al

Super Josh

If you're not losing any fluid, then my money is on the MC too.

Josh

taylorspug

Ok gents, looks like new MC it is then! The car has fits of regular use, but will then spend a month or two laid up if im not in the mood for driving it or it needs a bit of work.

Phil- Yes mine used to be the same, it would be ok for a few miles then scare the hell out of me when i needed the brakes most! Now its just doing it all the time.

Cheers guys. :)

taylorspug

Right slipped up Bridges earlier and liberated a 406 MC for the sum of a tenner, stuck it on along with giving one of the rear calipers a quick going over, and its transformed the brakes! Bloody thing near on rips the tarmac up as it stops now!

Certainly the brakes are better than they ever have been, which makes me wonder if the previous MC was right from the start, or even since i put the 4 pots on.