• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
govikes

Best Brakes To Go Under Xsi Alloys?

govikes

I have 165/65/14 XSi alloys on my 205. What would you guys reccomend to be the best brake setup I could fit under these for road rallying? As far as I'm aware if I were to run 206 GTi brakes or 309 I would need to have at least 15inch alloys.

I am currently running standard 1.9 discs & cals with Greenstuff pads & braided hosing which work pretty well but I'm just considering other options.

Cheers!

Edited by govikes

brian j
I have 165/65/14 XSi alloys on my 205. What would you guys reccomend to be the best brake setup I could fit under these for road rallying? As far as I'm aware if I were to run 206 GTi brakes or 309 I would need to have at least 15inch alloys.

I had the 266mm setup (206 GTI 130/ 306 XSI etc.) under my 14" STDT alloys with no bother for a while. If they are 306 XSi alloys then these will fit because they are the OE brakes for the car.

The 283mm setup from a 206 GTI 180 /307 etc or the 306 GTI-6 setup will not fit under 14s.

If you want to try the 266mm option, then I have a set of mint calipers and excellent Brembo max discs that will need new pads. Make me an offer by pm if your interested.

Edited by brian j

govikes

thanks for the advice. what size are standard 1.9 discs?

govikes

there 106 XSi alloys

Edited by govikes

brian j
there 106 XSi alloys

The Original discs are 247mm. The 266 ones Should fit under the 106 XSi alloys if they are 14s. My local dealer has an STDT 14" alloy and a couple of 106 XSI alloys in the parts reception, so I'll try to remember to compare when I'm in next week.

B

BackStreetRacecars

i think the brakes from a 306 td are the biggest under those wheels.... i dont know the size off hand...i had them on my xs alltho there is only a few mm between the caliper and wheel.

VisaGTi16v

Doesnt quite answer your question but may be useful, my friend has some of the 14" steel rallye wheels on his 1.6 XSi and he has my old 266mm zx 16v brakes on it, bolted straight on using the zx discs. Bit tight but no rubbing

welshpug

most 405's run a 266mm disc of a lower offset and 14" steel or alloy wheels, I doubt you will have any troubles with a 306 266mm disc as they have a greater offset which is the same/close to the 1.9 discs.

other options, better pads, cheaper and lighter B)

meggy6620

Id say keep std ones and just put some new disks and some hi grip com pads in the origanl calipers as long as you can get enough air to cool them. A good place to start mintex 1144 -1155 the 55s need a littel heat to get the best out of em but the 44s need no heat and have loads of bit but dont last long. or you use some carbon loreans rc 6 compound and youl be pulling your self off the windscreen lol.

govikes
Id say keep std ones and just put some new disks and some hi grip com pads in the origanl calipers as long as you can get enough air to cool them. A good place to start mintex 1144 -1155 the 55s need a littel heat to get the best out of em but the 44s need no heat and have loads of bit but dont last long. or you use some carbon loreans rc 6 compound and youl be pulling your self off the windscreen lol.

thanks for the advice. Think I'm gonna stick with standard discs & get some decent pads. I've been advised to get Mintex 1155's. How do people rate Ferodo DS2500's?

Baz

DS2500's are pretty damn good IMO! on par with 1155s. :)

meggy6620

Ds2500 are good but id go for the mintex. We had some problems with the ds's, just somthing to look out for when they got realy hot like on a track or stage the glue use to melt that held on the friction material to the back plate, and after alittle more use they use to fall apart.

So i usualy try somthing els if i can aford it.