• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

Release Bearing Rattle

kyepan

Hullo,

Just a quick question, why might my release bearing always rattle. (susie thinks its the wear indicators), but seriously.

I've put two new ones in, the first when the diff went in, and the second when the new clutch went in last autum...

So it would seem new bearings and clutchare not the answer to the rattle.

Also i've had a completly new clutch fork assembly, as i could not get the old one off to do the first motion shaft oil seal. (out came the grinder), it looked identical to the one that came off.

Any ideas, O-fonts of infinite peugeot knowledge?

much appreciated

Justin.

oli-pug

Any chance you broke one of the piddly plastic retainer clips on the bearing when fitting?

Edited by oli-pug

welshpug

uneven pressure plate springs is the only thing I can think of with a new bearing, possibly caused by a warped flywheel friction surface?

kyepan
Any chance you broke one of the piddly plastic retainer clips on the bearing when fitting?

they are fiddly, but fitted without breaking, know what you mean though they do feel like they will break

uneven pressure plate springs is the only thing I can think of with a new bearing, possibly caused by a warped flywheel friction surface?

would a warped flywheel also exhibit clutch judder? as mine is smooth as a kittens furry underbits

however getting the box on in situe inevitably leads so knocking the plate fingers a bit, i've never been able to get it on easily, without doing this, and resting it a bit on the fingers half way.. is there a way of doing this that doesn't involve fouling the diff on the subframe?

Henry Yorke

Could the rattle be an input shaft bearing?

kyepan
Could the rattle be an input shaft bearing?

Would the noise disappear when the clutch is depressed, if it was the input shaft bearing?

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

yes :huh:

kyepan
yes :)

really, why is that?

more asking because i don't understand, and not because i don't believe you.

welshpug

with the clutch engaged (foot up) the input shaft is constantly spinning if the engine is running, be it in or out of gear, once you disengage the clutch (i.e foot down, depressed) and stationary there is nothing making the input shaft spin :)

I guess if that you have had the box off fairly recently the oil level and quality should be ok, so it may just be tired :(

Time to see Miles for a rebuild maybe? Doubt it'd cost a great deal if the rest of the box is in good order.

Edited by welshpug

Sign in to follow this